Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father owns a 2003 duramax. It has 200,000 miles on it and he has had it since 04 with being bought with 22,000 miles on it.
So far the truck has had the k&n intake with different filters on it and also has had the hypertech programmer set on 90 hp setting pretty much all of its life.
The only exception was we turned it down to 50 during winter cause he plowed with it. He started hauling heavy heavy loads on a 25ft goose neck trailer. i meaning like 12k to 15k on the trailer.
So its started to smoke out the exhaust and we keep adding cleaner and it will go away but come back. we did check the oil and their is no fuel in it. He's going to make it through the winter with it and up date and i will be buying the truck from him.
So yes i understand the truck needs injectors and i plan on building the transmission too. (3 weeks ago i limped the transmission. left the cruise control on and was towing about 5 ton on the hitch and went up a steep grade while hypertech was at 90 horse and it down shifted hard to 4th and then kicked into limp mode. It didnt state limp mode. just said 5th gear out of range) but we turned down the hypertech so i know its on borrowed time. but my question for you guys is what should i update on this truck to make it last alot longer. i want to make some power out of it but i want it to be reliable too.
My plans are too
-30% over injectors to back off on timing and i need them any ways
-built trans because stock one is on the way out the door
- put a dry filter on the k&n intake tube.
-intake horn
-defiantly efi live by rob or duramaxtuner
-down pipe depending on if turbo upgrade or not
head studs depending on turbo upgrade too

and this is where i dont know what i should do.
i want a max effort tune but i dont want that stock ihi turbo to blow and ruin the motor.
Do you guys know of some turbos that have the same if not better spool and better produced drive pressure but yet still make that 550 to 600 hp mark. That are still good to tow with and not brake the bank.

Any opinions i would really appreciate. I have been on this site for around 4 months now and been reading my rear end off and still cant find out a straight good answer. I don't want to push my motor too hard just the fun factor hard.

Names Ross and Appreciated everything. This Forum is awesome

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Welcome and I'd say you have the right idea with all your upgrades, however I don't believe injectors over stock will be needed. Stick with the stockers unless you are trying to make some serious power, which I doubt you will do if you tow alot. As far as turbos go, unless you have the $$ then I'd stick with stock.. They are pretty reliable and rarely ever are there turbo problems with these trucks... If you do get a max effort tune then that tranny will need some beefing up... just a matter of time. However, don't be scared of the mileage though, as long as you know it was taken care of.. Good luck man

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the reasoning behind going a little over stock is just to back off the timing and pulse width to help the longevity of the motor.

my goal is to have 600 horse but still reliable and still tow. i dont tow alot but will be my daily driver and will want to pull some here their at some fairs but still want to tow when i need too. i really just want to up date to turbo just to get ride of the bad drive pressures

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any other opinions on a different turbo set up?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
twins are pretty awesome for towing. contact scott at screaming diesel performance about them. they tow nicely, and would be what i would buy in your situation.

also head studs most likely not needed.

and for 600 horse you will need a liftpump, much over stock and you need one.

and if you do twins I and others would recommend 30 or 40 percent injectors

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont really have the cash to put twins on it. i think i am going to do the lift pump and the batmowheel for spool up time and a little bit more air

·
Registered
207 Posts
Since when do lb7's have drive pressure issues?

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would definitely get a 4" exhaust with a good air intake, letting your engine breathe better makes a world of difference, and then some gauges to monitor the engine so you will be able to see if anything isn't running right before you get a major breakdown

1 - 8 of 8 Posts