Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I looking to get into a diesel I currently have a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0 I going to look a friends duramax in a month but I have started looking. I have been mostly looking at LLY's. I was wondering if there is anything major I should look for when looking at the trucks? Any signs I can look for of head gasket problems or other engine problems? Should I stay away from trucks that have been tuned? Because I did find a truck that I might go look at its been on craigslist for awhile. Here's the link. 2004.5 Chevy 2500 duramax
Any info would be greatly appricated

·
Premium Member
3,676 Posts
Looks like it has all the right things done. Personally, I think the price is high for an East Coast truck which is why it's been on cl for so long, but there is probably room to negotiate. My truck has been tuned for about 4 years now and I tow a 5th wheel, no problems so far but I have a head gasket fund going on....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I might be going to look at a different LLY very soon. I have been doing a lot of reading but I'm still need a little help is there any other way of testing for head gasket failure besides squeezing the top hose after 8-12 hours of running. I'm just a little concerned if he runs it before I get there. Can you take take the cap off and see if it bubbles?

·
Super Moderator
1,167 Posts
It's tough to say really. The headgasket issue on LLY's is a weird one. Hard upper radiator hose is definitely the best way to check, but obviously if the guy is shady enough he probably will run the truck a little bit a few hours prior to you getting there. Lots of scumbags on craigslist.

You can also look for signs of puked coolant residue, or like you said look for bubbling at idle. Or if you're allowed to take it for a longer test drive, watch the temp gauge to see if it moves a fair bit. See if the heat suddenly stops blowing hot at random intervals.

However, I really don't think you should be overly worried. Headgasket issues are somewhat common in LLY's, but remember it's not a huge issue. Tons of guys drive hundreds of thousands of miles without them having an issues.

The thing with LLY's is that they're generally about $4-5000 cheaper than LBZ's, which is more than what a headgasket replacement costs. You either buy an LBZ and spend the extra cash upfront for a bit more power and a lesser chance of the HG going (and less chance of overheating among other small fixes), or you save the few grand and roll the dice with the HG.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Looks like head gaskets and studs have already been taken care of. Take it for a spin and see what you can negotiate.
Edit... Didn't read deep enough

1 - 5 of 5 Posts