Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
The L5P is a better platform, so if that's an option you should take it. However, the constant bashing of the LML's over the possibility of the CP4 going out is getting old. As someone rightly pointed out a couple times in this thread already, there are WAY more functioning CP4 trucks than ones that have grenaded themselves. We live in a bubble on our forums. People sign up when they have a problem.
I respect that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Right now you are. I think under normal circumstances you would be right, at 48k but all the dealers know how valuable the 2017+ models are right now and most won't budge. I think we'll see prices adjust a bit more reasonable as time goes on. I paid a pretty penny for my 2018 with only 13,000 miles on it. Almost as much as it was brand new. But I was willing to pay it because of the low millage and it was something I had the history on and knew that the original owner took good care of it in the little time he had it. This will be a truck I keep for 15+ years. Wish I could have done that on my former LMM that I sold 2 months ago but I got it with 180,000 miles on it and lots of hidden things on it by the previous owner (accidents and shoddy body repair work, engine and transmission were good, but it was rusting out and i have no patience for rust)
I know the prices are up, if biden gets in and gas goes up i can see prices drop. I have 5 months till i have to tow again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
942 Posts
It won't have anything to do with the administration or fuel prices. Not as much as inventory levels, anyway. When factories shut down, the new inventory dipped significantly. Since there were no new vehicles able to be found, people started snatching up the newer used vehicles, which depleted that inventory and drove prices through the roof. The price on used high mileage trucks right now is outrageous.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It won't have anything to do with the administration or fuel prices. Not as much as inventory levels, anyway. When factories shut down, the new inventory dipped significantly. Since there were no new vehicles able to be found, people started snatching up the newer used vehicles, which depleted that inventory and drove prices through the roof. The price on used high mileage trucks right now is outrageous.
I see lol. Good thing is i have time. Just frustrating.

·
Registered
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
942 Posts
It really is frustrating. My younger brother is looking to purchase a new to him truck in the near future too, and you'd think they all come with a complimentary cure for cancer in the back seat or something. Absolute sh*tbox trucks being bought at stupid prices.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Its not only the "newer" used vehicles but also the older and more "shitb0x" ones too

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Found a 17 hc 2500 diesel for 50k with 84k miles. See if i cant get them close to 49k. They r 3 hrs away. Sux none of these trucks come with gooseneck, and i just installed one on my current truck.

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
In June I purchased a 2017 3500 LT Dually with 57k on the odometer , it cost me $39,600.00 before tax and MV fees.
I did spend almost a year searching and just before I found this truck I was looking at a 2013 LT with 51k for $33,000 and a 2014 LTZ with 54k for $ 33,400. Are the duallies cheaper because the demand is less?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I put 115K on an '11 3500 Dually, most of that towing 17K to 19K worth of Fifthwheel. Had an EGR Cooler fault early on that was repaired under warranty and both of the defective NOx sensors replaced also under warranty. Was a solid truck, just traded to get into a Crew Cab vs Extended Cab and a few more ponies.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Also keep in mind that half of the people that are so scared of the CP4 are wearing a mask everyday thinking it’ll keep them from getting COVID. Buy a lml, use good fuel, an occasional additive and there’s a 95% chance you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hilarious. I think the chances of your pump blowing up are pretty slim if you run additive and a lift pump. Your chances of dying from covid might be higher. My 2014 LML has 115k miles of mostly pulling heavy trailers in the mountains and I haven’t had any issues. Only DEF issue is that tank heater failure which has a 120k mile factory extended warranty on it. Would I like to get a newer LP5? Sure. But for all the cash it would take to upgrade, I can fix stuff on this (paid off) LML for years and still be ahead. Including a blown up injection pump if that were to happen.

·
Registered
2014 3500HD SRW 4x4
17 Posts
I’ve said this before on here, but I feel like it’s worth repeating again ;) The company I work for had a fleet of LML powered trucks, around 70-80 vehicles. They’re oilfield work trucks, so they don’t have the easiest life and when they started cycling them out of the fleet every one of them were in the 275-300K range. The rest of the truck was worn out but the engines still ran great. So out of several million combined miles we had ONE cp4 failure which was caused by a new hire trying to run a high mileage cp4 on gasoline. I know several other people with LML personal trucks with high miles and the ones I’ve asked if they’re worried about the cp4 usually answer with “what’s that?”. It does happen no doubt but I think it’s pretty rare and the internet tends to have a magnifying glass affect on things.
ive got a 2014 with 125k on it. Worst problem I’ve had is a pin hole leak in the radiator.
my truck gets services at a GM shop and the actual techs who work on these all of the time said the next thing I might see closer to 200k miles is water pump issues.

sounds like the people with cp4 issues are commenting but the vast majority with no issues are not commenting. Thus A very skewed picture of the failure rate.

·
Registered
569 Posts
2018 3500 High Country dually, 120k miles, $45,000. It has bed/tailgate damage and the gooseneck hitch looked like a kid had done it at home. Other than that it was a really slick truck. Custom bumpers front and rear, not Ranchhand but similar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2018 3500 High Country dually, 120k miles, $45,000. It has bed/tailgate damage and the gooseneck hitch looked like a kid had done it at home. Other than that it was a really slick truck. Custom bumpers front and rear, not Ranchhand but similar.
It would seem that you got a good deal. To me, it also validates what people were replying to the OP, that the price on the truck he was looking at seemed on the high side. I test drove the L5P, what a nice drive train, and a really good looking truck.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I thought it was a fair price, plus I got high book out of my trade-in. I never get that lucky. I'm waiting for the new one to start throwing codes and blowing coolant out of it or something:)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts