Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I am considering buying a 97 K3500, Turbo Diesel 6.5L non-Duramax, automatic trans, extra cab, for pulling heavy stuff. It has 200K miles on it and runs fine.
What auto trans is used, and does it have issues?
What kind of mileage can i expect, empty, and with a 3 ton trailer?
I have heard that the injector pump may need replacement based solely upon mileage, but since my diesel experience is all Benz, VW, and Peugot, i doubt that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I believe they have the 4l80e. IMO you are better off getting a 454BB for reliability reasons

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
^^^x2 those engines a have this never ending plague of problems i have one...but when they work they are good 2 go for anything

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mine is only a 1500 so I dont know about the 3500 specifically, but mine has run great. It has 322,000 miles on the original engine and transmission, and we had the tranny rebuilt at 309,000. I usually get around 16-17 mpg without towing, but never pulled anything heavier that a Polaris Ranger which it handled like a charm. Hope this helps a little. Oh and I almost positive it has ever had new injectors.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks. i am going to go see it this weekend. It is owned by the head tech at a friend's shop, and the price is fair. I know he's not going to lie to me, but I am a Euro car tech and don't have much experience with GM Diesels.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts