Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after much hesitation and consideration, my wife and I decided on account of $7+ dollar per gallon diesel fuel out west, and the ever-increasing cost of RV "resort" spots ($200+ a night for a parking spot sandwiched between other 40' trailers with slides on both sides) we traded in our 38' Alliance fifth-wheel for a 25' Lance travel trailer.

The dually duramax would've no doubt done a fantastic job pulling the new Lance, however I decided it was time to go for a smaller truck.

I spent lots of time searching and debating the 3.0 baby Duramax, however after factoring fuel costs and the $5k upgrade to find a truck with that engine, I settled in on the 2.7 turbo 4 cylinder Silverado - went with the LT trim. Had the backup sensors and heated seats on 'future retrofit' - I have a hard time seeing GM ever getting to all the trucks they sold without those features, so likely I will just get used to not having them...

We've only put about 700 miles on the truck running a trailer up to Washington, however I can say this setup is fantastic. We averaged 20 MPG for the trip with a utility trailer and about 3000 lbs of stuff going up and over the Cascades.

The new interior is fantastic, GM really did a nice job on the new infotainment. Ours has the 360 cameras, which are great. The new screen is more responsive, and easier to setup than the Ford we looked at.

I will no doubt miss the gentle clatter of diesel combustion, and the endless torque, however I will not miss trying to park a dually in the overflow lot at Sea Tac airport, or coughing up $200 to fill the truck every time...

Fun side note - We hooked up and dragged the trailer home yesterday to park in the driveway (another feature of the small trailer, not having to store it in a lot an hour away!) and when pulling into a roundabout a bit aggressively, the little turbo four banger roasted the BOTH back tires :cool: Gobs of diesel-like torque without nearly as much of the "torque management" the new diesels get! Both the wife and I were impressed...

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Steering wheel Steering part

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Truck

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle registration plate

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Cooper Rugged Trek, Paragon Bed Cover
3,799 Posts
That is a really sharp setup. I'm glad you found a truck and trailer that you like and works for you guys.

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
😱
Oh the horror, between you and @blythkd1 , you're breaking our hearts. You guys are some of the old guard around here.

Ah, all joking aside, congrats on the two new vehicles. Totally get it man, definitely do. Sometimes in life, you just have to make things simple and easier.
Is that the newer lance trailer with the queen size bed up front? I saw a review for it on YouTube, looked awesome and perfect for a husband and wife deal.

Reactions: jharp

·
Registered
2019 3500HD High Country DRW 4x4
128 Posts
Congrats!! Is that a Lance 2075?? I've owned 3 Lance truck campers but never a Lance travel trailer.

Eventually I might look into a Chevy Colorado with that engine when my current daily driver gets too old.

·
Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
946 Posts
Great rig, and nice that you did the math so to speak.

Curious if you've driven it at night yet and how you found the displays as far as readability or glare? Had a kinda cool looking Tesla pass me last week at night and it looked like a grow op on wheels from the display glaring away....sunglasses at night required!

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I totally get it. I still have the 4500 for the trailers and it hauls 32 3-stringer alfalfa bales on the bed but thats all with the price of fuel. I have a 1500 HC with a 6.2 and it gets about 15-18 around town. It won't tow crap without sticking its nose in the air. But wife wanted a small Suv for doing all the town running so
We got a '22 Hyundai Tucson with auto 4wd.
One of the best decisions I ever made. It gets 27-30 around town and 30+ hwy. She took it to Kentucky to look in on a race horse we have there and averaged 32mpg and loved driving it.
So I guess blyth can't slam me- I still HAVE a GM diesel.

·
Registered
2022 GMC DenaliHD, 6.6TD, Allison 10-speed, SRW
13 Posts
As a fellow Alliance owner (Paradigm 365RD), I do understand. The Lance units are really nice. My 2022 DenaliHD sets in the barn most of the time with the occasional road trip just to keep the seals lubed and things moving. Diesel here in central Indiana is $6-05 - $6.09 at the local pumps. Enjoy the Lance & the new truck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all! It is in fact a Lance 2075 with the queen bed in the front. Part of the desire to downsize is we are now, in fact, just the husband/wife campers now that my son is 18. I invited him to not travel with us anymore... ;)
We just happened to see it sitting on the lot, apparently the guy who ordered it 11 months ago now lives on the east coast, so we lucked out!
Our fifth wheel was the 340RL from Alliance, really a very nice trailer. The GMC towed it beautifully. Besides for fuel prices being what they are, we were mostly bummed at the sites we had to deal with when using it. We aren't very good at planning trips long enough in advance to get prime spots. So more times than not we were in an 'overflow' spot that generally was next to the trash dumpsters or the septic tank vents... Either way, we're hoping to see more state/federal parks now with the more petite setup...

Im sure at some point I will be burning oil again...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great rig, and nice that you did the math so to speak.

Curious if you've driven it at night yet and how you found the displays as far as readability or glare? Had a kinda cool looking Tesla pass me last week at night and it looked like a grow op on wheels from the display glaring away....sunglasses at night required!
We did in fact drive it home from WA a few days ago at night. Since the system is Google based, everything on the screen goes into 'dark' mode, with a dark background. I actually find the new screens to be better because like newer LCD TV's - they have better contrast ratio. So the black screen is closer to black. The '21 GMC dually had quite a bit of backlight on the screen that was especially distracting trying to park at night.

As far as daytime glare, GM really thought this out I think, especially compared to Tesla. On the Tesla (and on the Ram I test drove) the screen has around 10-15 degrees of upward tilt to it. So if there is any sun coming in the side windows or from the top of the windshield, the screen has terrible glare. GM put the screen almost perfectly level vertically. So it would be hard to pick up glare as almost all light sources are higher than the reflective plane of the screen.

On the speedometer/tach screen, there is a pretty significant backwards tilt to the screen, however there is also a good amount of sun screening provided by the dash piece that overhangs the display.

All this ranting to say "No - the glare ain't bad at all!" :)

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
I still say we take you out back along with @blythkd1 and teach you guys a lesson on ditching us. 🤪

Seriously man, congrats, that trailer is sweet. It is on the list should I decide to get a TT.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Congrats on the new setup. I didn't even know GM was offering a turbo 4 in the 1500. We have a turbo 4 in a little Buick crossover that gets about 32 on the hwy. We like it even if it was built in China. Didn't know that until we got home with it or we probably would have opted for the Enclave. I'm sure your 4 banger has more grunt though. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on all the vitals of the new truck as you learn them.

So I guess blyth can't slam me- I still HAVE a GM diesel.
Hmmmph. I have a GM diesel bigger than all y'all's. Anybody have one with an 855 Cummins?

Viper's gonna keep givin' me shti, then we're gonna start talking dually fuel mileage:)

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Viper- keep your shit to yourself. I don't think we can take any more dually mileage bragging. Beside , nothing can beat the 4500 @ 30mpg. Oh wait, I gotta start and drive it?? My DIC isn't accurate? Will GM warranty that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts