Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drivers who want off-road traction and on-road comfort can expect it from the Goodyear Wrangler™ UltraTerrain AT.

Goodyear UltraTerrain AT

In-store Price & Availability:

Our exclusive all-terrain tire, the Goodyear Wrangler® UltraTerrain AT is engineered to provide drivers with a quiet, comfortable highway ride and the all-terrain capabilities for their next off-road adventure. Drivers can count on this tire for powerful all-terrain performance through the aggressive tread pattern and TractiveGroove Technology®. Featuring a rugged all-terrain tread compound and aggressive shoulder elements, the Wrangler™ UltraTerrain provides resistance to tread chunking and protection from punctures, so drivers can take on harsh terrains with absolute confidence. Not just an off-road tire, the UltraTerrain is engineered to provide on-road comfort through advanced computer modeling technology. This tire is also certified for severe snow and winter traction, backed by the 3-peak mountain snowflake symbol.

-KEY FEATURES-

• All-terrain traction
  • Rugged durability
  • On-road comfort

-SPECS-

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have close to 1,400 miles on mine. Great winter tire. They feel much more supple than the Duratrac. Drove over Berthoud Pass in zero degrees through a mag chloride/snow mix and they grip well. Great tire at a really good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
62 Posts
Goodyear corp. is anti second amendment. Won't support them, to many other good options. I did previously own a set of Dura tracs. Loudest , fastest wearing tires ever had on a truck.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
LOL... I thought that was a while ago, since then I believe they got bought by Sumitomo so them and Falken are the same family. Not sure what their gun logic is now...

Anyhow, its a great tire. Hopefully it lasts, if not, I will look at the Falked Wildpeak AT3W since it looks to be pretty dang close but has a 55k warranty.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Any more feedback on these? Wonder how the sidewall strength compares to a Duratrac, Adventure, KO2, Falken and similar tires. Also, do they have full depth siping?

·
Registered
55 Posts
As I move from ski trips to camping trips, these tires are less in their element. Compared to the Duras and the stock Wranglers, they feel like they are on tip toes. A surprising amount of squirm. They remain quiet generally but you can hear them being pushed at highway speed corners. Not really confidence inspiring. 60 psi, 1,000 pound tongue weight w/ my Lance 2185 TT.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are correct on size! Tall and narrow. Maybe these just like more psi than the duratrac for towing. Will try.

With 15 years in the industry I'm getting pretty good at calling tire sizes by eye :wink2:

Your Ultra Terrain tires have a max air capacity of 80 PSI cold - bumping the pressure up to max capacity should make a significant difference with how the tires handle while towing/under load.

On a side note, what is the GVWR of the trailer? 1000 lb tongue weight seems on the high side which may be causing some of the squirm you're experiencing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can you share with me the load curve for these tires?
My understanding is that tire manufacturers create a chart that outlines weight vs corresponding psi that should be ran in the tire.
I'm not driving around with 80psi in my rear tires unloaded like GMC puts on the placard, it's not a good idea.
I just bought 285/70R17 in the load range E category. I love them, but want to set tire pressures correctly for long wear, comfort and safety based on Goodyear's testing, not GM's maximums.
Thank you.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Or you can do the chalk test to even up the tires. Do it at different weights to form your own charts. The information should be on Goodyear’s site.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Or you can do the chalk test to even up the tires. Do it at different weights to form your own charts. The information should be on Goodyear’s site.
Thank you for your response.

I have looked on Goodyear's website as well as Discount Tire's website, and there isn't a Load Curve diagram. I have also searched the interwebs with no luck..

I understand that I could go through the work of the chalk test, but it is imprecise and not needed when the tire manufacture should have already done this.

I am hoping @discountTire can provide this..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thank you for your response.

I have looked on Goodyear's website as well as Discount Tire's website, and there isn't a Load Curve diagram. I have also searched the interwebs with no luck..

I understand that I could go through the work of the chalk test, but it is imprecise and not needed when the tire manufacture should have already done this.

I am hoping @discountTire can provide this..
Are you sure you’re not picking fly crap out of pepper with this whole load curve diagram thing? All the reading, research, etc I’ve done over the years on tires for different vehicles, and this is the first time I’ve even heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are you sure you’re not picking fly crap out of pepper with this whole load curve diagram thing? All the reading, research, etc I’ve done over the years on tires for different vehicles, and this is the first time I’ve even heard of such a thing.
hahahaha That is an awesome visual! :D

GM wants 80 psi in the rear. But that is a max pressure for max load. I do not carry a max load, therefore I am not running 80 psi in the rear tires. It will ride like shit, and it will prematurely wear out the middle of the tire.

Therefore, I have been doing research on this load inflation thing, and yes, it exists. I have found other tire manufacturers have a chart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts