Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your opinions on GN adapters for a 5th wheel trailer? Specifically talking on a 38' 13k camper. Using the anderson mfg ranch hitch adapter. Seems like it is a solid setup what are your opinions? Thanks

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you look at the mounting point on a trailer for a gooseneck vs a pin they are very different. Most frame manufacturers specifically state the frames are not designed for a gooseneck adapter and will void the warranty. From that starting point we know they don't like the idea.

If you are going to do it, have the pin mounting points reinforced so you don't have to worry. Goosenecks put a different strain on the trailer frame than a pin. But considering you can get gooseneck trailers it can be done and reliable. I like the gooseneck system but they are rare for 5th wheels. Odds are the frame is a Lippert so call them and ask what they recommend for the conversion.

I would assume some people will jump in and say they've been doing it for years with no issues. Over the years I've seen several frames crack from just the pin system. That is not a small trailer so do it right and that might mean permanently converting it to a gooseneck.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
If you've ever worked with a GN trailer, there is a significant twist flex of the framer forward of the axles, which requires a torque tube in the frame design (32'+) to aid in limiting the frame twist.

5er RVs are not designed to flex in that way. The dissimilar materials used have different deflection rates. Undue pressures from a concentrated pivot point of a GN trailer can have the Filon side panels de-laminate from the frame, as they don't bend/flex as much. Worse-case scenario, the Lippert frame rails crack from the higher stress loads.

It all depends on the mfrs construction/terrain traversed/loaded weight as to whether you'll see any detrimental damage occur. Roll the dice.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the advice. Im surprised they just sell the ranch adapters without any warnings if it can cause that many problems

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I have ran mine for years with no issues, I welded my adapter all the way around though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've used them for years with zero issues as well but mine are very short adapters. The ranch unit you are talking about is a good choice as it sits as high as a 5th wheel plate and acts just like the 5th wheel unit. Usually the main reason for going with a gooseneck adapter is not to have any of that crap in the bed but the ranch unit does have a large frame in the bed so not saving any room there.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
What are your opinions on GN adapters for a 5th wheel trailer? Specifically talking on a 38' 13k camper. Using the anderson mfg ranch hitch adapter. Seems like it is a solid setup what are your opinions? Thanks
Since you have long bed (in your signature) I'd take a good long look at the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel connection. I have one and love it. No need for a butt heavy 5th wheel hitch. Attached directly to your GN ball, it's good for 24,000lbs, and the best part is the whole hitch weighs 70lbs. Takes about 5 min or less to install or remove. Watch their videos on it.

This hitch does NOT alter the stress points of the trailer frame so you avoid the above issues.

They make one for in the bed rails, but it might have some movement. The Ultimate does NOT move, no clunking when stopping or starting, just smooth quiet pulling. VERY maneuverable and can be hitched and unhitched at way greater angles than almost any std 5th wheel hitch system.

Only one thing to really be aware of if buying a new trailer, with this hitch, and that is pin box length. The king pin adapter can be reversed and it will either add 4" to pin box length, or subtract 4" to pin box length. Adding 4" could cause pin bod to truck bed clearance problems, that often reversing, or subtracting 4" solves.

The price is excellent as well as their service.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Other than that, I travel with several guys that have similar 5th wheels to mine (Open Range 35-36ft) that are in the 11-13K weight range. They have towed several years with goose neck adapters bolted to their king pin boxes, with no issues to date. They also use a GN insert that provides an air ride, but it replaces the GN ball itself. It weighs about 40lbs and comes out just like the GN ball does.

The Reese goose box might otherwise be the way to go. If you call the trailer mfgr, they can tell you if it will void the warranty, but I would get it in writing from someone with authority to say so.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I've used them for years with zero issues as well but mine are very short adapters. The ranch unit you are talking about is a good choice as it sits as high as a 5th wheel plate and acts just like the 5th wheel unit. Usually the main reason for going with a gooseneck adapter is not to have any of that crap in the bed but the ranch unit does have a large frame in the bed so not saving any room there.
I am using my phone and its a PITA to look it up, but I think you are mistaking the ranch adapter for the ultimate 5th wheel they also sell. The ultimate is what I use, and it sits where the 5th wheel plate would. The ranch adapter goes right down to the ball in the bed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya mine is the adapter that goes directly on the pin box. I hauled it home with it and seems good so far. I don't know about the ride since I have never had a 5th wheel hitch in a pickup. I think all the horror stories I have read about are from a vocal minority, so I am going to keep running it, unless I run into problems.
Thanks everyone for the advice

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Ya mine is the adapter that goes directly on the pin box. I hauled it home with it and seems good so far. I don't know about the ride since I have never had a 5th wheel hitch in a pickup. I think all the horror stories I have read about are from a vocal minority, so I am going to keep running it, unless I run into problems.
Thanks everyone for the advice

Good deal. Hope none arise. As I mentioned earlier, if the ride gets rough, there is a hitch that replaces the GN ball, and it has an adjustable airbag in it to cushin the jars and bumps.

If you need me to, I can find out what it's called.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya if you know what it is, I could look into it

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I just watched the video, and if that is how they all work, it wouldn't work on mine. Mine is a B&W turnover ball, and the hole is square in mine. They might make a square one though, I didn't look. I looked at their web site and it seems they have lots of adapters for many brands.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looks like a pretty slick setup. Im afraid it would add too much height to my hitch. With my adapter bottomed out and my pickup level the trailer sits just a touch high in the front right now. That would bring the trailer up another 4-6in it looks like.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Yea now that you mention it, some of theirs seem a little high too. Can the main tube on the trailer be shortened? Seems like a common problem.

Newer trucks are getting real tall in the bed area and trailers and Rv's are slow to catch up.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have two friends that use this with their 5th wheels without issue. They have both had them for a few years, and seem to tow great without issue. One friend actually researched the crap out of it, and as far as he could find it was the only one that will not affect the warranty on their trailer frames.

Reese Goose Box 5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck Air Ride Coupler Adapter - Lippert 1621 - 16,000 lbs Reese Gooseneck and Fifth Wheel Adapters RP94622
The only problem with this kit is the 16k rating. Most people's rv's weigh more than that..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts