Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm picking up a gooseneck trailer and was wonder what the difference is between a "fifth wheel" and the the ball setup in the middle if the bed? Can I use either one with this kind of trailer?

Premium Member
Basics?
A GN has the coupler on the trailer and the pin/ball in the truck.
A 5th has the coupler in the truck and the pin is on the trailer.

Premium Member
If you don't know the difference between a GN and a 5th wheel, you probably need to do some extensive research before you pick it up.......

Registered
Link didnt work for me, might be personalized to your account/info. Im looking to learn the same things, but its been at the bottom of my list as Im not in the market for a large trailer yet. Ill stay tuned.

Registered
Perhaps someone can provide pictures that depict the differences visually?

Premium Member
B&W is tops. You can pull either GN or 5th wheel with the B&W Companion 5th wheel setup. I would highly recommend it.

Registered
What are the advantages of one over the other? It seems there must advantages if there are 2 different, but similar, setups.

Registered
What are the advantages of one over the other? It seems there must advantages if there are 2 different, but similar, setups.
What type of trailer are you looking for? 5th wheel is usually found on campers. GN is usually on all other trailers (cattle trailers, deck overs, car haulers). Although on the truck end things can be converted back and forth, most manufacturers dont warranty converting the trailers from one to another.
Make sense?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Registered
Im not currently looking, but would like to eventually have the GN type based on your description

Registered
B&w is the best

Registered
This hitch is by far the favorite on this forum

Gooseneck Hitch | B & W Trailer Hitches

GN hitches are commonly found on utility and cargo type trailers. They allow more articulating both front to back and side to side. However they are slightly more difficult to hook-up (because you have to align it properly) and soe say they ride slightly rougher.

5th wheels are the same hitch type found on semi's. They are commonly used on RV trailers. They don't allow much side to side articulation, making them problematic on rough terrain. However they are a lot easier to hook up and soe say they ride smoother.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
What type of trailer are you looking for? 5th wheel is usually found on campers. GN is usually on all other trailers (cattle trailers, deck overs, car haulers). Although on the truck end things can be converted back and forth, most manufacturers dont warranty converting the trailers from one to another.
Make sense?

Awesome! Ill try the link again.. Curt Manufacturing 16055 Rail Mounted Gooseneck Hitch:Amazon:Automotive

Good brand? Strong enough for a 2 car hauler?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Make sense?

Awesome!

Registered
You need to first find out what you will pull most and then go from there.
I realize that tons of guys on here love the b&w companion but if you will never pull a goose why buy an extra hitch?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts