Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am about to tow a 20+5' dove tail gooseneck to bring a Conex to our non-profit horse therapy location. We are going to insulate the cone and turn it into a fodder system to keep our feed costs low over the next couple years +.

That being said I have a 2500 (which i know is capable) but towing a large conex has me concerned. It's a giant wind sail. I am going from Dallas to the Albuquerque area. Just wondering if
A) anyone has done it
b) What they did that worked for securing the cone or what they would do differently
c) any recommendations OTHER THAN have it shipped. As a non profit we have limited funds and its actually cheaper to use my gooseneck and truck to move it.

·
Registered
2016 Chevy LML 2500 4x4 bone stock CCLB summit white, air ride on board air, b&w gneck hitch
1,035 Posts
Subd

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
What are the dimensions? Will you exceed legal size limits?

·
Premium Member
26,482 Posts
Block it, strap it, and go. Watch the weather, make the East/West run between incoming fronts. If you wait too long, you'll be into unpredictable Southerly Gulf winds come mid March thru April.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
i hauled a connex about the same size on a bumper pull about 65 miles and had no issues. go for it man, you'll be alright.

·
Registered
2016 Chevy LML 2500 4x4 bone stock CCLB summit white, air ride on board air, b&w gneck hitch
1,035 Posts
How do u plan on unloading it? I'm askin cause my dad wants one and I'm sure I'll haul like u are. Jw how u gonna do it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sounds good let us know how it goes

·
Premium Member
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it went without a single issue. Goose traveled strait and there was some wind but overall no issue. The 2500 handled it like a dream and even made better time than originally thought. Also no weigh station or DOT issues across state lines. Thanks for the input everyone.

Also for the removal none of the detailed pictures we took saved on the camera memory card but here is how we did it.

Truck in Park and parking brake on
Trailer jacks down for drag
Hooked a chain through the lower securing holes.
Trailer has a wooden deck.
We had a post we wanted to use for the securing but we ended up connecting to a tractor.
Made a triangle connection between the cones and the pull line and tractor and the pull line (this is why pictures would have been excellent. 100ft total between the tractor and conex
We than used the chain ratchets and slid it right down the trailer off the loading ramps and used the tractor to drag it into position. A little rudimentary but worked great. Better than getting a TERX for a removal fee.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Keep an eye on that fuel gauge,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.