Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2140 Posts

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright so I guess we will start one of these things. Lump all of my issues, mods, and what not into one spot. I will do my best at write ups and what not, but will half ass the stuff that has been installed because I'm a little lazy. And I like Pictures, so those that can not read can join in too:rofl

First off I stole this truck...er...I mean bought it on 01-02-2013. 2008 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 CCLB DWR 4X4 Looked something like this.....with a little over 78K miles on it. Traded the 05 Burb Z71 for it. Got a great trade and a good price on the truck. As you can see it has some funky ass chrome Gear wheels. I despise the front, but the backs are not to bad. I dont know the color, or even what to call it, so :help You can also see that its been leveled, the cheap way. Tbars are cranked all the way.

First bit done, now to keep on trucking on the build thread:gearjamin

Table of Contents
Some of these are multiple posts, so you will have to put the Display Mode back to Linear
Step Bars
DPF Back Exhaust
First Tow
Weather Techs
Antenna Delete
Oil Leak
Plasti Dip Badges
Headlight Replacement
Big Ol' Issue
Plasti Dip Rims
DPF Issues
Nictane Adapter
Start of EFI, Then a Few Pages of Stuff
4X4 Issue
Resonator Delete
PCV Reroute and Hot Side Intercooler Boost Tube Painting
CB Install
Recon Roof Lights
Dumping the Exhaust
Reese 5th Wheel Hitch and Jayco Jayflight
Dead Batts
Whipper Arm Painting

Attachments

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So first mod I did was some Westin Step bars so my dog could get in, shes a big lazy GSD. Paid $180 I think and I had them on in about an hour or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Then the next box showed up! I was a dumb DPF diesel noob okay, leave me alone. I got a MBRP DPF 5" Back system. Think I paid $225 for it. I had to cut the old one out, got tired of fighting with it. Then once I got everything in, my tip was hanging low. Whatever I went with it. It fit good other than that. Best thing about this besides it got rid of the musket tip, which was covered in soot, more on that later, is that I can now hear when a regen is happening. This took maybe 2 hours, but I was doing other things as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cardinal Sin here, I used it for work a handful of times because the POS Ford I had was down for injectors and other things. So I got to pull a few trailers, which I wanted to anyway. It tows awesome. Only had about 10K on a pintel hitch trailer behind it so far, but man it was a nice rig to pull with.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then came the Weather Tech Floor Liners. $207 shipped. They have been great. They catch all the dirt and keeps the mess out of the carpet. The rear is nice because I can stick all my tools and messy stuff back there and not worry about it. Now if these trucks would come with rubber floors or something similar, Linex would be great, I would not have needed these. But I like them anyway. I went with the tan color because I forgot what color my interior was:rofl but its better than grey any day.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Then came the Weather Tech Floor Liners. $207 shipped. They have been great. They catch all the dirt and keeps the mess out of the carpet. The rear is nice because I can stick all my tools and messy stuff back there and not worry about it. Now if these trucks would come with rubber floors or something similar, Linex would be great, I would not have needed these. But I like them anyway. I went with the tan color because I forgot what color my interior was:rofl but its better than grey any day.
I have been thinking about getting some of these.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been thinking about getting some of these.
Best things ever and the fit is perfect. Only real complaint is the Pass side does not have a little holder thing, so it slides when someone gets in or out. Which is a little dangerous and messes up the liner.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So that was the month of January, now onward to February 2013. Thanks to Wforty94 for this one. Antenna Delete Gives the truck a cleaner look, subtle but different. The one takes a while because you are fighting with it. You can do the read up here....

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/exterior/154628-nbs-lmm-antenna-mod.html

I didnt notice any loss in range until recently. I will have to check the cable to make sure its still tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went and took pictures one day and they looked something like this....

Attachments

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So here comes the first of my issues with the truck. I go to change the oil and I get up under there and what do I see? Oil all over. I made an appointment at the dealer. I thought it was a OP gasket leak or a rear main seal. The tech thought the same and it got a new OP gasket. Also got a lower trans line as that was leaking. Which brings up a point I missed earlier, they replaced a few GPs when I bought it, no big deal but worth mentioning. We will see more on this leak in an upcoming comment.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here comes the Plasti Dip section. I did the badges and the grille. I ended up taking the grill out completely as to not get it in the cooling stack, that would be bad. Just some tape to help conceal the mess. Did about 4 coats each and had to redo a couple. I have touched up the grill a few times and have to now redo a badge, must have got caught up on a mall bush while I was crawling. :rofl

While I was doing this, I also painted and readjusted the tip. Used high temp, 2000 degree, black paint and shoved that sucker upward. I was really just trying to get it off to paint, but it wouldnt budge and I like the way it looks. Now need to redo that hanger, but I aint worried too much:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Few more from Last Post

Also included here is trying on a GN for size. I still dont have a hitch installed. What is going on there is the trailer kept locking up the brakes on a 3.0 setting and we were searching out the issue. Turned out to be a bad magnet clip which then ate the drum up. Also had no breakaway, so I was charging the new batt with my truck. Speaking of which, I hooked that up one day as well. And I can't find the pic of that one. Oh well you can live with out.

Then is the truck hooked up ready to go to Jax for work that week.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So here I find myself 500 miles from home doing a lot of night driving because we were working lots of crazy hours and I have a headlight go out. Took 3 hours to replace it because I had to go back to napa. Had the wrong bulbs. So that was a fun experience. Remove Grill and undo headlight and put it all back together again.

Really GM?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here comes a major issues with the truck I had. Remember that oil leak I had before? Well its still leaking, pretty bad. Way worse than last time. Truck was undrivable really. I made an appointment and went and had it looked at. Waited around a while and they said they were going to have to keep it for a bit should have it back by the end of the week. I was set up with a rental and all was good. I call every day to see how it was going. Well TWO FREAKING WEEKS LATER, its done. Apparently the "flywheel housing plate" needed a new seal. They replaced a bunch of other stuff too that came along with that job. No leaks thus far. This was the middle of March when all this went down.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Being unemployed left me with a lot of free time but no motivation to do many mods or money to. But I did get around to the rims on this thing. 4 coats of Plasti Dip later and they look much better. Did the lug nuts and axle bit in the same paint I did the exhaust in, cus it was laying around.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So about 2 weeks ago, I went to change my oil. As it was draining I thought to myself "Self, that's a lot of oil coming out of there, and the filter is still on yet" My oil drain pans are maked and hold 7 quarts each. One had a little less than 6 in it, one a little more. Great. And Boy did it smell like diesel. Paper towel tested it, guess what, yeah its got diesel in it. So I make ANOTHER appointment to get this thing looked at to make sure its coming from where I think it is. After refusing a rental saying I'll just wait, spent 56 mins in the shop, they couldn't find anything. Well I asked for Balance Rates and a Regen log, both of which they insisted they could not do. I have been going here for the last 2 years, bought my truck from here, and so did my uncle. My service writer lives down the street from me, and they are going to give me this crap? I'm done with the last few months on this warranty. More on this later

Attachments

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This pretty much brings us up to date. It keeps failing in regen and I am only averaging about 12-13 all highway with minimal idle time. Talked to Willie yesterday.....more on this up coming event

·
Registered
348 Posts
Why do you not delete the dpf?

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why do you not delete the dpf?
Well I wanted to keep my warranty first off, its save me a bunch of money with that oil leak. And I bought the truck to Hotshot with, so remaining DOT compliant was important. But like I said, I talked to MrManners yesterday and I will update on what I got later on in the week:gearjamin

1 - 20 of 2140 Posts