Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LLY Duramax
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced a mess of stuff on the front end and got to looking at how nasty it was gummed up around the back of the tranny and on the sides up towards the little covers (don't know what they are called). But anyways I decided why not get a little pressure washer on it? So had my gas washer out and decided to use the green tip which is not the softest but not the hardest. I also decided to operate the pressure washer at half throttle because I did not want to damage any seals or anything like that.
After cleaning up the area (it didn't get the stuck on good grime) but done enough, I noticed there was a leakage. Now I know it's possible I damaged something with the washer but don't really feel like that's the case. It more seems like the built up grime was the leak stopper as it is a gravity leak.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. It seems to be collecting at the top of the tranny pan and dripping off the back corner. It is due for a good servicing as well but want to see if I can pin down the problem if y'all have had one similar to this?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tire Bumper

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just replaced a mess of stuff on the front end and got to looking at how nasty it was gummed up around the back of the tranny and on the sides up towards the little covers (don't know what they are called). But anyways I decided why not get a little pressure washer on it? So had my gas washer out and decided to use the green tip which is not the softest but not the hardest. I also decided to operate the pressure washer at half throttle because I did not want to damage any seals or anything like that.
After cleaning up the area (it didn't get the stuck on good grime) but done enough, I noticed there was a leakage. Now I know it's possible I damaged something with the washer but don't really feel like that's the case. It more seems like the built up grime was the leak stopper as it is a gravity leak.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. It seems to be collecting at the top of the tranny pan and dripping off the back corner. It is due for a good servicing as well but want to see if I can pin down the problem if y'all have had one similar to this? View attachment 1090989
View attachment 1090989 View attachment 1090988
It’s the shift shaft selector seal. The fluid runs down and to the back of the pan. Most likely the single cause of your issue, not multiple leaks. First attempt to fix it would to be to remove the shift selector held on by the nut. Put a brick under your tire just in case. Socket on one end, open end wrench on the flat part of the arm between the nut and seal. Once it’s out of the way get a socket that fits over your seal and lightly tap with a mallet, it may re-seal. If not, repeat above steps only this time get a small drill and make a pilot hole on the seal. Be careful not to go too far or you can damage the mating surface the seal butts up to. Carefully Remove with a small pick using the drilled hole. Replace with new seal after lubing it with trans fluid, cleaning the area, and tapping it in place with socket/mallet. I recommend buying two seals since they’re cheap. If it doesn’t work, repeat the process but drain the fluid into a clean, unused bucket first(re use if you want to). Use a small about of trans gasket sealer on the seal and tap it in place. Wait for it to cure then top off your trans.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s the shift shaft selector seal. The fluid runs down and to the back of the pan. Most likely the single cause of your issue, not multiple leaks. First attempt to fix it would to be to remove the shift selector held on by the nut. Put a brick under your tire just in case. Socket on one end, open end wrench on the flat part of the arm between the nut and seal. Once it’s out of the way get a socket that fits over your seal and lightly tap with a mallet, it may re-seal. If not, repeat above steps only this time get a small drill and make a pilot hole on the seal. Be careful not to go too far or you can damage the mating surface the seal butts up to. Carefully Remove with a small pick using the drilled hole. Replace with new seal after lubing it with trans fluid, cleaning the area, and tapping it in place with socket/mallet. I recommend buying two seals since they’re cheap. If it doesn’t work, repeat the process but drain the fluid into a clean, unused bucket first(re use if you want to). Use a small about of trans gasket sealer on the seal and tap it in place. Wait for it to cure then top off your trans.
Thank you for the detail! I am a bit weary of shops working on my stuff and making it out to be something more massive that it really is.
I'm going to clean everything in the area with brake cleaner and look for the shift shaft selector seal leak. Had no clue what that would have been called other than the gear selector thing... I had read on another forum about a possible seal leak between the tranny and trans-axel... but hope you have me in the right direction. Also gonna go ahead find and be ready to buy two seals as well. I will repost in a few days of my findings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just found this DIY step by step for the seal and wanted to share for future reference.

·
Registered
91 Posts
To me, the biggest thing is getting the seal out without damaging the aluminum mating surface. Look at your new seal to get a judge for depth. You really only need to drill through the outer solid piece of the seal. You can use a center punch first so your bit doesn’t walk on you. If I remember right, national seals were the better option, as opposed to acdelco. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leak solved!
Went ahead and bought this tool after reading some of the reviews of the competition that was $20… and said, “I better get this instead…” Was quite easy with this tool. I had to drop the front drive shaft to get the sleeve slid over the shaft. Other than the front drive shaft slipping and hitting me on the forehead, all was well! Didn’t use a hammer or anything to break the tool like some of the Amazon reviews suggested you bang on it. It screws right into the seal and pulls out! Couldn’t ask for a better invention. Too bad it wasn’t mine!

Really appreciate you all taking the time out of your day to respond to this. Y’all are very helpful and now I’m off to the next project!
Hand Drinkware Bottle Liquid Fluid

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

Product Line Office supplies Font Office equipment

1 - 8 of 8 Posts