Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i replaced all 8 injectors myself this week. the job is really easy and if you are considering doing it yourself and have any sort of mechanical experience dont even think twice. i was worried getting into the job and i was a breeze for me. A few things to add to the write ups i followed, instead of prying the injector out with a crow bar, thread a high pressure line back on the injector and wiggle it back and forth and it will pop right out. Start with the passenger side. its much easier to do and once you know the lay out of it, it will help with installing the drivers side. I didnt see anywhere in the write ups i read about using Vaseline. Brent told me to use Vaseline on the copper washer on the injector and that helped keep it on when you set the injector in the cup. using Vaseline on the high pressure line where it contacts the rubber seal on the valve cover made turning it by hand much easier when reinstalling. Also, TAKE YOUR HOOD OFF. it takes 5 mins to do and makes 100 percent difference in working on the truck. big thanks to Brent at Lincoln diesel. i called just about everyday asking him dumb questions and he always had an answer for me. i was able to get the whole job done in less than a week of just working on it when i got home from work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you use the Lincoln Diesel injectors? If so are they still rebuilding in house? I didn't have any luck with the LDS injectors. Started failing after 20k miles. All 8 bad by 60k miles. I went with bosch this time. Just my .02.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Good deal man. I appreciate the tip about using the HP line to pull the injector!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you use the Lincoln Diesel injectors? If so are they still rebuilding in house? I didn't have any luck with the LDS injectors. Started failing after 20k miles. All 8 bad by 60k miles. I went with bosch this time. Just my .02.
these are Bosh reman injectors. I belive the LDS injectors were 1500 bucks. these were 1700.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
LDS injectors are still on the site... But no longer available. They ONLY sell Bosch reman injectors.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i put 60 highway miles on it today. didnt make any oil and my balances rates are all under 1! so far so good.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Meh you dont have to take the hood off. The service position moves it completely out of the way

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also just started my injector swap today from Brett. I was able to get to the passenger side tonight. I did have one of the cups come out, but the injector came out pretty easy. The cup was very clean so I'm confused as to why it came out. Can anyone help, do I need new O rings? Or can I just reuse them. Hopefully I can or I'm screwed. I have this butterfly stomach feeling something's gonna go wrong from installing myself and I'll be right back in it all over again. Should I not be so worried????:banghead:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also just started my injector swap today from Brett. I was able to get to the passenger side tonight. I did have one of the cups come out, but the injector came out pretty easy. The cup was very clean so I'm confused as to why it came out. Can anyone help, do I need new O rings? Or can I just reuse them. Hopefully I can or I'm screwed. I have this butterfly stomach feeling something's gonna go wrong from installing myself and I'll be right back in it all over again. Should I not be so worried????:banghead:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
make sure you really wiggle that injector back and forth before attempting to try and remove it from the head. my truck sadly had 65k on it when the factory injectors gave out, so all my cups were very clean and none stuck. what condition are the orings in?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would probably say yes. The inside of the cup is clean right? You need some red locktite. Id email brent as he probably wont be around a phone this weekend. Its critical to get that cup back in right.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
orings are pretty tough. ive reused the orings on the head of my snowmobile 10 plus times of taking the head on and off and re torquing it and they still seal good.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
orings are pretty tough. ive reused the orings on the head of my snowmobile 10 plus times of taking the head on and off and re torquing it and they still seal good.
Its just my feelings. I wouldnt risk a leaky cup over a 1$ oring

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well depends how badly he needs the truck to be back together i guess. i wouldnt either but i have a little beat up car i daily drive. my duramax just sits.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Go to GM and get the o-rings. Its not worth tearing it back down for an o-ring that costs $2.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If your not in a rush to get your truck back together send me your address and I can mail you the o-ring for the cup Monday. My install kit came with them and all my cups stayed put.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Danzick,
Nice write up!

·
Registered
863 Posts
You can re use the cups if you pull one. Check it for damage, put new o rings on it and use high temp loctite when re installing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts