Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought a pro comp leveling kit today and some 295/65/20 trail grapplers. Never have messed with IFS I was pretty worried about tackling it....with that being said...this was the easiest suspension work I've ever done. I didn't even take the wheels off. I didn't have to load one side. The keeper came right out of the key. Somehow after putting it back together it was perfectly level. I didn't have to adjust at all. I got lucky. I still need to put the shock extensions on but I don't know that it is worth it. They are tiny and don't look like they will make any difference. I'm hopefully getting my tires put on Monday and getting an alignment. I'll post pics as soon as it's done.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
How is all your angles, are u still in the green zone. Check your shocks to see how far out they are now, typically shocks get maxed out when leveling

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as the green zone...I've heard a lot of people say that but I'm not sure what that is. My angles are off now but I don't think it's too much but I really don't know. If it's too much should I let it down a little in the front? How do I know if my shocks are all the way out? Just jack it up until I see how much further it comes out? The spacers that came for shock extensions are only about 1/4-1/2" long. Doesn't seem like they would make much difference.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After driving around the block, I noticed the ride really bouncy. I cranked it back down. I think I was bouncing off the bump stops. Also I was measuring from the ground and it was actually high in the front. I'm now about an 1/8" low in the front now and it rides like stock again. I'll figure all this out sooner or later. Lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some reading I figured out the green zone. I am at 3/4" of an inch so I should be good there. After measuring from the center hubs I am 1/8" low in the front. Tomorrow I may go ahead and bring it down to 1/4" low so that I make sure I am well with in the green zone. I don't want to tear anything up.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
As long as you have 5/8 inch or more clearance from bumpstop and uca, you should b ok. Now the angles on cv axles and others are also a concern. Please post pics of the angles so we can see how bad it is. I'm sure you don't want to prematurely replace tie rods, cv's and ball joints, especially since stock ball joints are pressed in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are a couple pics. One of my angle and the other of the UCA to BumpStop. Does this look okay or do I need to come down some? I want to get it right before I take it in for alignment. I lowered it some more this morning so I am now sitting 1/2" low in the front. I really don't want to come down anymore but will if I absolutely need to.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
IMHO, you angles still look a bit sharp. The tie rod is really angled, as is the cv axle. Ill put up some pics of mine for comparison. Im a LMM, not a LML, so everything is a bit different. Ill also post a pic of how the truck looks now. Its not leveled, but close, i left 3/4 to an inch higher in back for towing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pics. You think coming down another 1/4" would do enough?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Thanks for the pics. You think coming down another 1/4" would do enough?
It won't hurt it.:thumb

Best to just get it where u are comfortable with it.

Any reason why u didn't get cognito uca. Probably almost same cost as the keys u bought, and from what ive read, keys are almost never needed on NBS

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cranked the stock keys all the way and I was still 2" low in the front. The pro comp kit was $179. I'm not positive but I was thinking the cognito was a lot more. If it's only $200 I'll be changing this out for sure.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Check out norcaltruck.com and see what they cost, or call. I think its just over 300

1 - 12 of 12 Posts