Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got pulled over today on my way to class by a city cop for my tint. Its 20% but only lets 14% of light through. He says with tint you need a sticker on the window saying the percent, manufacturer etc. And that I have to remove it, and go to court. I have friends that have an excuse from their eye doctors saying the tint is okay, so I'm thinking of getting the same thing before I go to court, to try to get away with it. Definitely don't want to remove my tint so any ideas would help:thumb
Afterwords the cop was like other than the tint this is a really nice truck! haha

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I got yanked for tint and told cop he better pull over Officer xxxx next time he comes to work because his shit is blacked out on both trucks. If the cops can have it on their vehicles, so can I. That ended that real quick.
Tell him to write it up and you'll pay the fine. Removing tint sucks, especially if its over defogger strips.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Cant you just pay a fine? Thats the way it works here. They either give you a "fix It" ticket, which means you have to fix it or they will take you to jail in 30 days. Or they just write you up, you pay the fine and its over.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I deff don't want to remove it, ill pay the fine and just put my windows down when I see a city cop, or find a way to squeak by with it. He was like "we are cracking down on window tint because to many cars have it." I wanted to be like don't you have real criminals to chase, like drug dealers etc rather than pulling me over for a Non-Moving Violation.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cant you just pay a fine? Thats the way it works here. They either give you a "fix It" ticket, which means you have to fix it or they will take you to jail in 30 days. Or they just write you up, you pay the fine and its over.
The cop said I have to remove it and go to court over it. He also said that this vehicle is illegal to drive with it and I should ask you what company you want to tow the vehicle to impound, but I think that was a load of BS

·
Registered
137 Posts
where you from? they started crackin down on it here in NC too and theyve never cared before. i had 5% on my front windows for 2 years on my last truck and never anything, even sitting beside them. cops have nothin better to do i guess

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where you from? they started crackin down on it here in NC too and theyve never cared before. i had 5% on my front windows for 2 years on my last truck and never anything, even sitting beside them. cops have nothin better to do i guess
I'm from Austintown, Ohio but got pulled over in Youngstown. And I have had it on all my vehicles and it has never caused a problem until now.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Happened to me last month with a black NYS trooper. Asked him why his vehicle has all windows and full windsheild tinted and he said "cause I can boy . . ." So I just paid the 70 buck ticket and thats that. I asked him at court if he pulled me over cause Im a white male driving a diesel truck, no answer lol

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Got pulled over one time in my Cummins for 5% tint, made me pull it off right there which surprisingly wasn't to hard. No ticket and had it replaced the next day for $25.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
I got one of these yesterday to, big fat ass cop come across 2 lanes of traffic and pointed at me, was just after a curve in the city... for once I was driving nice and actually had my f-cking seat belt on... and still get nailed for something.

needless to say, was black smoke and rubber and 160+ on way home, what a lame jack off law. $115 for chubbies donut fund.

·
Registered
215 Posts
yea it all depends who you run into, sometimes its not clear in the state what you can run. ask your local inspection station for this an they should provided you with it. For instance here in VT you cant have your most front windows tinted, but everything behind that you can have as dark as you want to.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea it deff sucks and is a load of BS. What makes me more mad is the fact that I just found my Youngstown Police Association card that was given to me by the president and I prly could have gotten out of it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yea it deff sucks and is a load of BS. What makes me more mad is the fact that I just found my Youngstown Police Association card that was given to me by the president and I prly could have gotten out of it.
well if you set a court date present it then, if it dosent get you off the hook then plead for reduced charges in account of fees for the hearing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The reason your windows are testing at 14% is because the windows have a slight tint from the factory, about 7%. I had 35% put on my windows and the test out at 27%. IL law is 35% on the fronts.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
When my buddy lived in Medina,OH he used to get hit all the time by the cops there for tint. Now he lies in Burbank and hasn't had any trouble lol. My fronts are tinted, not sure if they are legal or not though but haven't been bothered yet.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Utah we just get a fix it ticket, have to get a new inspection or they will revoke our registration.

·
Registered
435 Posts
man they take tinting seriously some places... idk what the rule is here or the penalty but mine are prolly too dark and i've never had any problems but i try to roll with the windows down when the po-po are around

·
Registered
215 Posts
A court date was already set by the officer Do you think presenting the card would help out?
I do yes, why wouldn't it help? it shows you aren't just one to go out and intentionally break the law. You have any other violations? if not then use that injunction of your plea. we are human just like that officer or judge in front of you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do yes, why wouldn't it help? it shows you aren't just one to go out and intentionally break the law. You have any other violations? if not then use that injunction of your plea. we are human just like that officer or judge in front of you.
No the tint is my only one, the officer was checking everything though to get me for something else, but I will present the card in court and see what it does.

man they take tinting seriously some places... idk what the rule is here or the penalty but mine are prolly too dark and i've never had any problems but i try to roll with the windows down when the po-po are around
I use to do that, and after awhile I quit, guess it got me in the end.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts