Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read through these forums for the past week or so, I picked up my 08 duramax from a dealership here in town. It came exactly the way I wanted it, 6" lift, 35s... The works. I'm not new to anything automotive but I am new to diesels. Neither am I particularly worried about mileage, I just want to make sure I'm not abnormally far off on my economy.

As stated I have it lifted with 35s and the main thing that concerns me Is upon a fillup my DTE guage only reads 260 miles to empty. I average about 12.6mpg and drive very relaxed (under 1800rpm) damn near all day long. I guess my question is, does the DTE run off the memory of the previous drivers habits? Do I have a small fuel tank? Or at 12.6 mpg is that all im going to get?

If its either of the latter two I'm going to be purchasing a fuel tank for the bed, i can't imagine trying to make it to my cabin 5 hours away on 260 miles to empty, haha. Thanks in advance for your response guys!!

Brandon Erwin

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, I also bought an edge evolution cts... Dealer Is cool, family actually. Just going to deprogram it in case, everything I have read has been good about this unit. I bought it strictly for the economy mode.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I get about 12 to 13 on mine a 6 inch and 35s in town and my dic shows about the same mileage on the tank as yours. Went on a road trip and was getting 16 with about 400 to the tank. I have a tuner also. Hope this helps

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That definitely helps my gut! I was starting to think I may have bought into someones problem. Like I said I am not terrified of the mileage as I have a work truck so I only drive my duramax on my 4 off (rotating shift of 4 on 4 off).

With all that said, I couldn't be happier with this truck! I dont thinknill ever own another gas truck!

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
Get rid of the DPF if you are going to run a tuner. It will clog up alot faster with a tune. Then you can run your tuner at higher settings and it will net you better economy. You only have a 26 gallon tank on your turck if it is a short bed. Long beds have a 34 gallon tank. Titan makes a 52 gallon tank that will fit under your truck in the stock tank location.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I appreciate it and yeah it's a short bed, didn't know that they had different tank sizes, that's great to know! I'm not ditching the dpf though just in case I got in a spot and had to take it to another dealership for work. Would hate to eat the cost of a lunched motor ya know? Especially since mine has 39,000 on the clock haha. Thanks a bunch the replies have been helpful so far guys!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the forum

- Adam

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
My LMM is the exact same as yours, 6" and 35s and I was gettin the same mpgs. I just recently put a 4" straight pipe on and picked up 3mpg. And that's on the stock tune!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lmm mpg

I have an 08 with 35's and since the tune, exhaust, and filter I am getting some serious mileage. I just put 425 miles on this last tank of fuel. Most of it is highway. I am in the oil field and travel long distances. In town I get around 350-375 per tank. DPF in tact. Had a buddy get a 1500 fine for having his off....not gonna go that direction. Texas is cracking down hard right now on emissions.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
350 Posts
OP: MPG seems a little low, but I also think that is about where it should be if you cruise at 1800 RPM's and accelerate a little faster than the guy next to you.

I can average 19-21 MPG (town/highway) if I cruise at 1450 RPM's and make it shift @ 1525-1575 RPM's with the slowest take off from a red light you have ever seen =)

I have an 08 with 35's and since the tune, exhaust, and filter I am getting some serious mileage. I just put 425 miles on this last tank of fuel. Most of it is highway. I am in the oil field and travel long distances. In town I get around 350-375 per tank. DPF in tact. Had a buddy get a 1500 fine for having his off....not gonna go that direction. Texas is cracking down hard right now on emissions.
I forget, what is the emissions/DPF law exactly? Something about if it came with the truck when you bought it, then it has to be intact when you get it inspected?

What if you bought it 2nd hand and it wasn't there...would you be ok then?

Sorry for the minor hijack =)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts