Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to paint my grill (the gray mesh looking part) black to match my bumper and to keep with the white on black theme I've got goin on. I have a buddy that works at a body shop, and said if I tried painting it that it probably wouldn't stick very well and would just flake off or blow off when I wash my truck. He said they could paint it when I brought my fender flares in to be painted to match my truck (said they use some type of stuff that helps the paint stick better), but I figured before I spent the extra cash I'd see if any of you guys have tried it and had any luck, and what kinda paint you used. Thanks for any help.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
My thought always is, if they can do it...I can do it. Prep is the important part, pressure wash the shit out of it, wipe it down with acetone and a clean rag, spray it with the "plastic paint" they sell at Home Depot and such.. No matter WHAT paint or prep you use, if you pressure wash it...that shits coming off. Might as well save your money and rattle can it every other month... My grill shell and billet grill are rattle canned, looks good too.

·
Registered
541 Posts
acetone, adhesive promoter, and then GOOD paint. duplicolor trim paint works really well, theres a couple others that are durable. sanding will help even more, but use fine grit so it doesnt leave scratch marks through the paint....just enough to scuff the surface.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys! Where do I get the acetone and adhesive promoter you're talking about? I may see if my buddy can swipe some small amounts from the shop he works at if I can't find any.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He also told me that's why it cost what it does to get my fender flares painted to match my truck...cuz they have to use that adhesive stuff or some type of special paint for it to stick. I'm probably gonna try it myself first and if it looks like shit or doesn't stay on worth a crap then I'll have them do it when they do my fender flares.

Yup there exactly right! If you want it to last forever then Id spend the extra money and have them do it. Its very well worth it :rockin

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
krylon fusion paint for plastics!!! works awesome!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys! Where do I get the acetone and adhesive promoter you're talking about? I may see if my buddy can swipe some small amounts from the shop he works at if I can't find any.
walmart/autozone/discount auto

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, awesome! Thanks guys. :drink

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
I did mine 1 1/2 yrs ago along with the lower valance and looks just as good today as it did when I painted it . its all in the prep and I used and adhesion promoter and used trim black to spray it Ill get some pics up latter .

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can spray regular car paint then you can definatly do it. I wouldnt use spray bomb paint on it.

This is the adhesive promoter I used on my bumpers and there holding up very well. However, everytime we try to use it with primer it turns out like crap :rolleyes:

Bulldog
I was kinda wondering about that, didn't figure I'd try using primer with something like that...turns out I musta been rite for once. :D :rof

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did mine 1 1/2 yrs ago along with the lower valance and looks just as good today as it did when I painted it . its all in the prep and I used and adhesion promoter and used trim black to spray it Ill get some pics up latter .
Pics are always helpful. :drink

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, and I almost forgot while I'm on this subject...what would you guys think if I did my whole grille black, as in the chrome piece that goes all the way across and the center part then painting the bowtie white? I'll eventually be putting a set of black projector headlights on, so idk if that'd be too much black or not. My fender flares are getting painted to match the truck soon also. :drink Just curious on what you guys would think about that idea.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I prefer a black grille....and if you want something that will last.....look tough....and something you can touch up yourself, herculiner it.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
You need to scuff the paint, i use a green scotch brite pad because the red is a little to rough for your job...then you should use an adhesive promoter-primer-paint-then if you wanna get fancy...clear coat!!! and even more fancy, wetsand it with 2000g sandpaper...and then best over that!!!! wheel it out with compound...

thats the professional way to do it!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought about doing that, and getting my bumpers rhino lined too but that cost too much $$$$$...I'd rather spend that money on a lift pump and tranny upgrade. :rockin

I prefer a black grille....and if you want something that will last.....look tough....and something you can touch up yourself, herculiner it.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I thought about doing that, and getting my bumpers rhino lined too but that cost too much $$$$$...I'd rather spend that money on a lift pump and tranny upgrade. :rockin
Herculiner is like $70.00 for a gallon that would do your bumpers AND grille... I have already done my bed, and I also did my nerf bars and grille....looks good, tough as crap, and cost under 100.00...and you can pay an extra 30 and get a "touch up" quart..

·
Registered
637 Posts
I need about a hour to get the pics up , when I get home . thanks .

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, too late for me to try the Herculiner just got back from Walmart. I got the Krylon Plastic Paint and Krylon Clear Coat.(already have the scotch brite and fine grit sand paper) They didn't have any of the adhesive promoter...where else have you guys been getting it? I figure I'll try Napa or Oreilly's next...if not there maybe Menards?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts