Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive never had this problem before. Pulled out of my driveway today and was kind of in a hurry so i got into it a little (lotta) bit and about a mile from my house (still kind of into it) the truck kind of surged a few times then died on me, like it was starved of fuel or something related. I coasted to a stop in neutral and started the truck back and let it idle for a minute then put it in gear and off i went. No problems the rest of the night. I ran by my buddys shop and hooked it up to his V2 and there were no codes. Checked the balance rates and it was all good except injector 7 which was in the 3.5-4 range. But i already knew about the injector for a little while and havent had any problems up till now. Any ideas?

·
Registered
183 Posts
They're not made for starting up and going like a gas. Not sure exactly what happened but if everything checked out okay I wouldn't worry about it. Just let it idle for a while before you take off I usually start mine 10 to 20 minutes in advance before leaving 30 in winter. Just lets me know it's been going good and there are no problems. Just my .02 though.

2003 GMC 2500hd lb7,raptor fuel pump, PPE boost valve, lbz fpr, 5inch exhaust to a 6inch tip, S&B air intake, and a crappy diablo power puck.

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i should also point out i didnt just start it up cold and do that. I would never drive off without it warming up. I had just gotten home and the truck was off long enough for me to run inside and change then i started it back up and took off and all that happened. But like i said its running fine now so im not too worried rn, just kinda spooked me.

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My fuel filter is brand new about 100 miles ago. I talked to a buddy of mine (the one with the V2) and he said his old LMM used to do that every now and then. He said next time it does it to get out and press the bulb that primes it and if its not hard then the filter head needs rebuilt like his. He said he would take off and go about a mile and it would die like that like it was starved of fuel. Ill try this if it does it again and see. Im getting the CAT fuel filter adapter that comes with the rebuild o rings soon anyway just for peace of mind so i guess ill see then. Thanks for the replies guys. Hope this at least helps someone else.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Or, was it a Wix plastic filter? nono

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
my thought was to prime it when it happened, and if it fired right up or had difficulty priming is could be the filter head? Since you changed the filter no so many miles ago, it could be the O-ring. Had this happen to me causing air to mix in with the fuel. Can you get something to monitor your actual vs demand fuel rail pressure? if it falls hard under throttle, it could be the O-ring. It shouldnt die on you if its just a low rail pressure issue.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
My fuel filter is brand new about 100 miles ago. I talked to a buddy of mine (the one with the V2) and he said his old LMM used to do that every now and then. He said next time it does it to get out and press the bulb that primes it and if its not hard then the filter head needs rebuilt like his. He said he would take off and go about a mile and it would die like that like it was starved of fuel. Ill try this if it does it again and see. Im getting the CAT fuel filter adapter that comes with the rebuild o rings soon anyway just for peace of mind so i guess ill see then. Thanks for the replies guys. Hope this at least helps someone else.
There's a thread somewhere that they recently discovered the acdelco/racor filters better then the cat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts