Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Long time no see! How's everyone doin?

I've had the cel on for a year from the p0670 and another glow plug code. Don't ask why I didn't do anything about it for so long because I don't know. I first replaced all 8 glow plugs a while back but the light still was on ( about 6 months ago ). So I left it go until it started getting cold this year and replaced the glow plug control module, which made the light go out. Problem is, on some mornings I'm still having hard cold starts. Like this morning was 20 out ( colder overnight) and I had to try 3 cranking sessions to get it to stArt. Does the module have to be programmed to the truck? Could the relay be bad, but not have the cel come on? What things should I look at. Thanks guys

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
If you have a multimeter around, check for voltage at the glow plug, when the glow plug light is on. That will eliminate one suspected problem, fuel maybe gelling? Is the intake heater working? Check voltage on that one as well

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Try pumping the primer bulb on the filter head. I'd bet it's a fuel issue not glow plugs. Mine will start just fine down to about 0° without problems.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys ill try both. Truck is also due for air dog service and fuel filter

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could be the fuel filter head. I have had that issue where the fuel filter head needs to be rebuilt. How many miles are on the truck?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey guys sorry for the long delay.

Problem is still occurring. During cranking white smoke comes out the exhaust and smells like raw fuel and when it does eventually start it knocks terribly until the cylinders warm up, which only takes a few seconds. The truck now has 111,xxxx miles

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was just having the same problem yesterday. It got to about 2 degrees at night and about 28 for a high. I had to try for about 10 mins to get it to start after sitting for 45 mins after being fully warm. I also have not had any *********** service in it but once i poured it in after I got it running and went and topped it off with fuel and drove for about 10 miles it's not perfectly fine and has no problem starting anymore.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a similar issue. After checking into the fuel filter head, I noticed the pump button wasn't firm. I pumped it a fuel times and noticed I had fuel shooting out around the filter. I replaced the filter and made sure it was tight. Seem good now. My truck has around 72k miles on it and is stock.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the same issue but when I finally get it to start it smokes like hell whit wish and knocks like hell for a few min any idea what causes it. I don't see any leaks anywhere and it hates to start at -10

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
4 of my 8 glow don't work, but it still starts without much effort. Once the temps get below I'd say the 20s it will knock, rattle and white smoke for a bit till it starts to warm up and elevated idle kicks in

·
Registered
273 Posts
Do you plug it in? I know mine starts either way but it's much smoother plugged in especially in these temps lately.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it's below 20 degrees out at night even with mine plugged in I have times where I will have to crank it and then stop and recycle the glow plugs and then crank again and it will start then.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
It's certainly a possibility that it's losing prime.
While it's not always smooth and pretty, there should be plenty of compression heat to fire at 20 degrees. Having to stop and re cycle sounds more of a fuel issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ya that's what I was thinking. When I changed the fuel filter if I pressed the prime more then 8 times it would leak around filter pretty bad but other then that there is not a single leak. I was gonna replace the gaskets on filter head once it gets warm out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts