Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my old AC Delco TP1298B fuel filter with an AC Delco TP3012 filter.

Now when I start the engine, the engine cranks probably twice as long as it used to before it fires.

I usually could tell when the old filter was needing replacement because when I'd be getting on the highway under boost (3rd or 4th gear) and the power would fall a little flat. After a fuel filter replacement, the power would be back.

It had been a while since the last fuel filter replacement and the power was a little flat under boost. I replaced it with this new Delco filter and besides the hard starting, the power under heavy boost is still a little flat.

Are the new style TP3012 filter's filtering capabilities restricting the fuel flow that much?

Any ideas or suggestions?

My truck is a fairly stock LB7 (Diablosport 65HP tune, K&N filter, 4" Flo-Pro exhaust).

Thanks, Chad

Premium Member
Wow. How long had that TP1298B filter been on the truck?
The TP3012 replaced that, what, 6-years ago?

The newer Coalescing filter specs far exceeds the old filter, including pressure drop. I would say to check the filter O-ring(s), that they're seated properly. Rare, but it can happen.

However, with age, the seals in the filter head fail and draw in air, reducing performance with aerated fuel, and losing fuel prime after sitting, increasing the crank time (while more fuel is pulled up). This could be the source for the lack of umph, getting worse after primer movement with the new filter install.

Check your primer button after sitting for a while/overnight, see how many pumps it takes 'till hard. Once hard, crank duration should be normal again.

In replacing the filter head, be sure to source the newer style ($100) vs your old style ($485), and replace/lengthen the two fuel lines to it with a quality bio-compatible 1/2" fuel line.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I don't drive it probably more than 6 - 7K miles per year. The old filter has probably been on the truck for just under 2 years. I can't remember where I got it, but it was via internet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the seals are or the fuel lines are going bad, wouldn't a filter head rebuild kit (new seals and O-rings?) and replacing the fuel lines fix the problem vs replacing the filter head?

Premium Member
It could, yes. Give it a try. Many have luck with rebuilding.
It may be just one seal or several. Or it could also be a stripped bleeder screw (didn't overtighten?) or a cracked WIF sensor.

However, there are non-replaceable components that wear/crack and a kit may or may not work. If you do replace, go for the new style. It comes assembled with a new filter, new bleeder, new WIF sensor, new fuel heater, and all new wire harnesses. Just bolt on, hook up the fuel lines, prime it and go.

Premium Member
The LB7 housing is expensive, but the later ones-[LLY-LBZ] is only about $100, and works fine. It comes with the filter and WIF sensor. The lines are routed a little different, but you should change the hoses anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I went to start my truck after it sat for a weekend. It fired and died. It wouldn't start again. I had to prime the filter to get it running.
I ran to Advance Auto Parts and purchased the Dorman rebuild kit for the filter block. I rebuilt it and it that seemed to solve the problem. Must have been leaking air from there. I did see the fuel lines leading to/from the block are dry and cracking. The parts store didn't have 1/2" fuel hose in stock. I did later go to Napa and get some. I'll replace the hose next week.
Thanks for the input!

Premium Member
They'll also suck flat like a straw when under load, starving the fuel rails.

Premium Member
NAPA has 1/2 inch diesel fuel hose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts