Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any ideas here? when i am stopped at idle and try to turn the wheels to change direction like parking, hooking up a trailer, with my foot on the brake it is virtually impossible to turn the steering wheel. i have checked the fluid level and it is where it is supposed to be. have noticed the gearbox is starting to leak but don't believe that is the problem, Hydroboost?? have changed the pump and lines already. any ideas

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just recently rebuilt my hydroboost with that Pirate Jack HB seal kit. If you do end up having to do the HB, it's pretty easy and only took a couple hours. There's a write up for it and the seal kit is only like $35. Feels better but I still get what your talking about, just not as bad. I'm thinking it's time for a new pump, it whines like it's low on fluid when it isn't.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Lmao this is ridiculous.... think about it.... your foot is on the brake, in order for your wheels to turn they do ever so slightly roll forward or backwards. So now your not only using power for hydro boost brakes, but also the steering, while locking your front end, and also the heavy front end on pavement doesn't help the situation either. Its a truck.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have this issue too. I just recently had my steering gear box replaced because it was leaking. I never had the issue with it being hard to turn until I got the new gear box. Mine feels like I don't have power steering when I'm trying to park. The other thing I noticed today was when turning slowly, like in a parking lot, and I hit my brakes it catches my steering for a second and makes it stiff in the steering wheel. It's very strange and I can't figure out if it's the hydroboost or power steering pump. I already did the hydroboost rebuild.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Steering should only be done while moving, so not really an issue.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Mine is hard to turn while moving. I notice it's harder to turn with my foot on the brake. Such as backing into a spot. Not sure about the OP but for me it's always when moving I don't really turn the wheels at a stand still.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It will be harder when on the brake as both steering and brakes use the hydroboost.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Larger aftermarket wheels/tires will make it more difficult as well.. Didn't see anything like the sorts in your signature..but thought it worth mentioning.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Can't hurt!

·
Registered
641 Posts
It will be harder when on the brake as both steering and brakes use the hydroboost.
I am aware of that. When I say harder I mean to the point where it's taking me two hands to turn the wheel. It really feels like I'm driving a truck without power steering. That is not normal and never had this issue until I had my gearbox replaced.

That's why I'm asking if it would be hydroboost or power steering pump related.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
You can try the hydroboost flush and even replace the power steering pump, but you will likely not get much more assist from the system.

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
Awhile ago there was a post somewhere about a different relief valve that goes into the back of the power steering pump. I think it is a gm part, there was part numbers in that post too.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can try the hydroboost flush and even replace the power steering pump, but you will likely not get much more assist from the system.
Do you have an idea what would fix the issue? I have noticed it seems like it does it after the truck has been running awhile versus from just starting it up.
I had no issues with steering until replacing a leaking steering gear box.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I personally tried the high flow valve.waste of money for me,I noticed no difference.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Can the high flow valve be used on a LMM?

·
Registered
78 Posts
You're going to find, when you search in the threads here, there are many post on this subject with the hard steering. In fact, GM has technical service bulletins on the topic. Just like many here, I had the same issue. What I found was the steering system isn't designed well for the needs of the system. For instance, you will notice that the steering works fine for steering for normal driving; however, when you apply the brakes, you will notice that the steering is difficult to turn. This is because the system doesn't have the adequate volume and fluid pressure to run the system. Moreover, you will find that GM doesn't do a good job of telling owners that it's a good idea to flush the steering system with new fluid every 24/25,000 miles to keep the system in good working order.

After doing research, I ended up with going with a PSC Power Steering Pump. The pump has 1.5 more gallons per minute fluid flow and about 300 more psi over the stock unit. Moreover, the pumps have zero miles on them, so, you will not have the same issues you would with a rebuilt unit. In addition, you will find that if you don't have a power steering cooler, it's a good idea to have one installed. Lastly, it's important to note that synthetic fluids don't work well in the hydrobooster applications. Lee power steering fluid, or Swepco Power Steering Fluids are good choices.

After changing out the pump, I noticed a great difference in the results of the steering. While applying the brakes, I can turn the steering wheel with little effort. I hope this will help.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You're going to find, when you search in the threads here, there are many post on this subject with the hard steering. In fact, GM has technical service bulletins on the topic. Just like many here, I had the same issue. What I found was the steering system isn't designed well for the needs of the system. For instance, you will notice that the steering works fine for steering for normal driving; however, when you apply the brakes, you will notice that the steering is difficult to turn. This is because the system doesn't have the adequate volume and fluid pressure to run the system. Moreover, you will find that GM doesn't do a good job of telling owners that it's a good idea to flush the steering system with new fluid every 24/25,000 miles to keep the system in good working order.

After doing research, I ended up with going with a PSC Power Steering Pump. The pump has 1.5 more gallons per minute fluid flow and about 300 more psi over the stock unit. Moreover, the pumps have zero miles on them, so, you will not have the same issues you would with a rebuilt unit. In addition, you will find that if you don't have a power steering cooler, it's a good idea to have one installed. Lastly, it's important to note that synthetic fluids don't work well in the hydrobooster applications. Lee power steering fluid, or Swepco Power Steering Fluids are good choices.

After changing out the pump, I noticed a great difference in the results of the steering. While applying the brakes, I can turn the steering wheel with little effort. I hope this will help.
Can you give us a part number for this pump? I am very interested in trying this. Thank you

·
Registered
67 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.