Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just bought a 05 with 240 kms on it about a month ago. first it would bobble (hick-up) when you started it. soon after i was having to put the pedal to the floor to start and it had to crank over longer before it would fire. i did the fuel fillter head rebuild and that hasnt helped its still getting worse!! its starts better on a COOL morning but as soon as the motor gets HOT and u try starting it again its alot worse! Next i was going to get a LP but dunno if thats the problem. truck has a slight LOPE at idle but its stock as far as i know so i doubt thats a good sign?? just has intake and straight pipe. Dont want to take it to the stupid dealer so just wondering what i could be and figured SOMEONE could help me with ideads and what i should check (replace) first!!

Thanks for the help everyone!! soon i wont be driving it if i dont figure this out. :help

·
Registered
755 Posts
Sounds to me like a glow plug or module goin down. But I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in. Is it throwing a check engine light ? If so what codes do u get?

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
If you pump the primer button, does it start better-??

Have you checked this-??
Inspect the FICM wire harness at the passenger side of the alternator. The harness and wires get cut, and sometimes short to ground, by contact with the sharp corner of the FICM bracket.

The harness is tied down with a zip tie, cut the zip tie, open up the plastic loom, carefully check for bare wires. Repair, and insulate with a piece of heater hose.

This is a common problem for the LLY engine. Everyone that has a LLY should check this now!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no its not giving any check engine lights or codes. it might start a bit better when primed but not too noticeable. if its a glow plug or module how could i find out? ill have to check the wires problem...if i can figue it out. how would that cause a starting problem? not questioning your knowledge i just dont know my stuff very well. moved from a 12v cummins to a newer duramax so things are a little more complicated lol. is there a write up on how to find it with some pics of the location or anything?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you pump the primer button, does it start better-??

Have you checked this-??
Inspect the FICM wire harness at the passenger side of the alternator. The harness and wires get cut, and sometimes short to ground, by contact with the sharp corner of the FICM bracket.

The harness is tied down with a zip tie, cut the zip tie, open up the plastic loom, carefully check for bare wires. Repair, and insulate with a piece of heater hose.

This is a common problem for the LLY engine. Everyone that has a LLY should check this now!
sorry what does FICM stand for? thanks

·
Registered
945 Posts
fuel injection control module.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
id check wiring first, thats 3 injectors on the same side of the motor.... llys arent known for injectors, but it does happen as with all diesels...
Well I took it to the dealer and that's what they told me. 1 and 3 were like 220psi or something and spec is like 440ish? #5 was of balance? Do you think it still could be wiring? Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
The problem with the LLY FICM harness takes 2 minutes to inspect and put a hose-! Once you do the mod on the harness, you never have to worry about it. Then you know it is not the harness. Of course you may have injector connector problems and that can be fixed with an ice pick.

My opinion -- YES, you may have wire problems-- It is foolish for any LLY owner not to inspect the FICM harness, and do the fix-!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts