Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing water pump for 3rd time on my 05 duramax and harmonic balancer is kicking my butt for last couple hrs I cannot get bolt to break free to get balancer off... Any suggestions I've put slight bow in my pull bar if that tells ya what been dealing with... Any suggestions I'm willing to try anything now if I've got the resources

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
I used a 3/4" drive 18" long S&K "T" bar and a heavy wall stainless steel pipe, along with a Lisle Duramax harmonic removal kit. Get the kit if you don't have it. How many miles do you have on your truck? So far, I've only done mine once at about 135K.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
This tool will help if you can find a rental yard that has one. It is a 4-1 Torque Multiplier, reduces the torque required by 4 so 275 Ft Lbs becomes 69 Ft Lbs.

It has a 1/2" input and 3/4" output so the Lisle tool fits perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
With all the belts off, put the breaker bar handle against the alternator pulley. Buddy of mine carefully held mine there, then just give the ignition a quick crack (just a split second, literally). If it doesnt break that bolt loose, then you may need the hulk.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Get the harmonic balancer lock tool with socket. Get a 3/4 inch breaker bar and a cheater pipe to go over it. Put the hood in the service position so you don't hit the hood with the cheater bar. Cheater bar should be about 5ft. In length and you should have no problems with that bolt.

Also get a new bolt. They are torque to yield fastener. So any time you take it off you should replace it. That being said I have replace my water pump twice and reused the same bolt. I didn't know that it should be replaced. When tightening the bolt, torque it to 74 ft. Lbs. Then tighten the bolt to 105° degrees. Each point on the bolt is 30° degrees. Each valley is 15° degrees. Mark a bolt point to the washer and balancer. Count 3 points and a valley (105°) counter clockwise and mark the valley. Tighten the bolt to the marks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts