Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

My balancer is missing a chunk I think. I dont know how long it has been this way. I am pretty sure it happened the last time the stealer changed my water pump, but I cant say for sure. I have not messed with my harmonic balancer. This just pisses me off. I will be talking to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
dude that is farked up

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it looks like it was broke off. I only started looking because I was trying to find a leak & saw my belt jumping pretty good at idle.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Sub.........................................scribe......................

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well had the appt with the dealer & they said they will goodwill fix it. They ordered the balancer, bolt, & crank seal. It kinda looks like it is leaking, so if it is, they will change it and get a better look once the balancer is off.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Lucky no damage was done, as I'm sure it was highly off balance.....

Broken/cracked Crank isnt much fun.

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well as far as I know no damage has been done. I don't know how long it has been this way. I still have a couple of weeks before it is fixed and the truck is the only vehicle I have at this time. Car is already on the way to italy.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Wow, im not sure what could have even caused that!!!

Hard for me to tell from pictures, but could have been dropped while they had it off for the water pump r&r??

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah dropped or messed it up using a puller. Don't know for sure. I want to see it after they get it off.

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no choice. It is my only transportation. It has probably been that way for at least the last 20,000 miles.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
You probally have crank walk due to excessive main bearing wear from this................

I would not sign shit for the repair, the block may need to be linebored if the walk is excessive. How bad is it leaking? Have you been running big tunes on it like this with increased rpm?

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have added 2 qts of oil in the last 10,000 miles. I havent been running big tunes...I am running about 85 hp right now. I havent increased the RPM limiter and don't drag race or anything like that. I havent driven the truck much in since April because I had bought a car to take to italy. I was driving it to save on fuel. The last time the truck was in the dealership for the water pump was May 2009. The truck had 61,115 miles on it. I now have 82,4XX miles on it. The third water pump was changed back in may 09. No telling which time they messed up the balancer. I think the first pump was changed at about 47,000 miles...second was about 54,000 miles.

I dont think I started leaking any oil (could be coming out of the blowby tube) until after the may 09 fix. It might have started a little before that as I couldnt park it in a garage in the winter of 08-09.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Is the oil coming from he front of the crank? Is this how you found it?

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I cant tell if it is. I dont think it is coming from the crank. It doesnt seem very wet from there. I think it is coming from the blowby tube...

This last weekend the balancer stopped at just the right angle for that picture. I looked at it last night and the broke out spot was on the top and quite a bit harder to see.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
The wear will be in direct relation to how badly the balancer was damaged. Wait untill it is off and keep it and post a pic of it removed.

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I will have them at least let me take a picture of it. I am sure the dealer will keep the old one since they will probably turn it in as a warranty. I hope that no real damage was done to the engine.

Is the center lip a metal or plastic? They were telling me it was plastic, but somehow I don't believe that...it doesnt feel like plastic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts