Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
best way is to pull the starter and put 1/2" extension in the flywheel to hold it

·
Registered
412 Posts
yeah i know what you mean, but it will be worth it in the long run

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
One of the tool companies make a block that you can insert against the flywheel and you don't need to remove the starter.

Some guys place the breaker bar against the frame and bump the starter over to loosen the balancer bolt. You will have to have a way to re-torque it, when you put it back together. (abt 260 lbs)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Lisle 22100 part# is what I used a few weeks back. Then you don't have to pull the starter. I got it for around 34 buck also has the 36 mm 12 point socket with it , if your near Wichita Ks you could use mine.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
to answer your question NO the strap wrench will not work.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
put a socket with beaker bar on bolt, brace against frame. click key "QUICKLEY" Bolt will break loose.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Rotate the engine over until you see a threaded hole in the flywheel. I forget what the size of bolt that you need is, but if you have a bucket of bolts lying around then your fine. Find one that threads in, then put your breaker bar or big ASS ratchet or impact. I would NOT recommend bumping the starter, but what do I know, good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Been cracking crank bolts loose that way for 20 years, never failed yet. What kind of impact do you have that would fit in that space?

·
Registered
138 Posts
It only fits with the radiator out, but its one of those titanium Ingersols. You cant back the bolt all the way out with it, but you can break it loose. The only large breaker bar I had at the house was one of those long harbor freight specials. They break easy, so I said the hell with it and snatched my radiator and broke that thing loose with my gun.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Just curious what made you decide to put one on your truck. These are mainly used for trucks that are pushing BIG horse power and that want to extend the RPM's in tuning. Fill out your signature if you don't mind.

Jon

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Maybe he's removing to do water pump?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts