Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 2-3 other posts on the TPMS topic right now but I’m getting conflicting reports.

So has ANYONE successfully installed aftermarket TPMS sensors on a trailer and been able to sync them with the Chevy system in their truck????

I’m being told by local tire dealers that you can only use the sensors sold by GMC for trailers ($300 for 4 of them!), and that they can only be programmed by the equipment found at a GMC dealer.

I find this hard to believe. So, has anyone actually done it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the GM ones programmed by Les Schwab. So at least part of what you are being told is not accurate.

//KMac

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the GM ones programmed by Les Schwab. So at least part of what you are being told is not accurate.

//KMac
Thanks for the info. Would you believe that our local LS was one of the ones who insisted it couldn’t be done?

Since my original post I called Discount Tire from another city and they said it shouldn’t be any problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I should place a disclaimer: the truck wants it done in a specific way. The device used by my LS wanted to learn them in a different order. So 2 of my tires are not accurately portrayed in my display (my driver side rear tire is located on the passenger side front on the display inside the truck and vice versa). I then purchased my own tool on Amazon to relearn them, then I started learning about how lacking these sensors are for bigger load tires. I am therefore waiting to get the new sensors when they become available before relearning them in the way that the truck wants to learn them.

BTW, do not ask LS about sensors and their stem size. Their book does not list that specification.

Good luck.

//KMac

·
Registered
440 Posts
Here is some info from GM-trucks.com, someone lists ones made by Autel sold on Amazon and shows they work. I have a buddy that that bought them and his 2021 Denali 1500 reads these sensors without a problem on his camper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is some info from GM-trucks.com, someone lists ones made by Autel sold on Amazon and shows they work. I have a buddy that that bought them and his 2021 Denali 1500 reads these sensors without a problem on his camper.

This is very helpful and what I suspected. Unfortunately I can’t seem to get this gm-trucks post to open, but I have seen these Autel sensors on Amazon.

What I was never able to figure out was whether their sensors required the Autel learning tool to program them. Both their instructions and product reviews made it sound like it and the tool was quite expensive. Do you know if your buddy had to have the Autel tool or does a generic one do it?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The Autel sensors do need programming. They can be programmed to your existing sensors numbers . Basically the scanner copy's th numbers from your ecm, then programs them with the same numbers. You can also generate a number. The good thing about the tool is, it reads and activates all known sensors. So if you rotate tires you don't have to up and down air the tires.

Autel also makes some pretty nice code readers and diagnostic tools. I bought a combo tool, the mp808ts. Because I have a few different makes and models of vehicles, and so far it does them all.

It will also do a lot of the tests, and recalibrations of the systems on my 2018 L5P.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Autel sensors do need programming. They can be programmed to your existing sensors numbers . Basically the scanner copy's th numbers from your ecm, then programs them with the same numbers. You can also generate a number. The good thing about the tool is, it reads and activates all known sensors. So if you rotate tires you don't have to up and down air the tires.

Autel also makes some pretty nice code readers and diagnostic tools. I bought a combo tool, the mp808ts. Because I have a few different makes and models of vehicles, and so far it does them all.

It will also do a lot of the tests, and recalibrations of the systems on my 2018 L5P.
I’m sorry for being such a dunce about these things. I really could use the book, “TPMS For Dummies”.

So are you saying that the Autel sensors do, or do not need their proprietary tool to program them? I have an inexpensive “learning” tool that is supposed to cover all major vehicle makes that is to be used when you switch sensors, rotate tires, etc. Is that the same thing or is there a difference between programming a new sensor, and putting the truck system into learn mode and using my inexpensive tool to install them? If I buy OE sensors will they come pre-programmed for the truck?

I really appreciate being schooled here.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Some Autel sensors come with their on number, and some have to use their programmer. Get the ones preprogrammed and you use your tool to activate the sensors while truck is in learn mode. I bought the unprogrammed ones so I didn't have to do the learn mode in the vehicle. But I also hade the Autel scanner that put the vehicle in learn mode then just walked around the vehicle activating the sensors. One of their tpms tools is also a scanner that can reset some dtc's if that's of interest to you. Handy to have for an intermittent fault.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT-4 Carbon Pro
83 Posts
I just finished syncing my TPMS sensors to my truck a few minutes ago. I didn't buy these from GM.
I first tried syncing via the manual method last week. That yielded no results. The instructions were simple enough but I still couldn't get it to work. So I ordered a TPMS tool via eBay. With this tool I was able to sync all 4 wheels in about one minute. The truck honked at each successful sync.

Here's the TPMS sensors I purchased as well as the TPMS tool. I've no affiliation with the merchants other than purchasing their product.

4PCS Tire Pressure Sensor 84338125 For Cadillac Chevrolet GM Silverado 2019-2020 | eBay

·
Registered
2021 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW
32 Posts
Just my .02 Important to know that the GM sensors are only good up to 100 psi. So those of us pulling heavier trailers with G rated tires and up cannot use the factory sensors. I tried finding compatible sensors in the right diameter with no luck. So I had to buckle down and get an aftermarket stand alone system. The monitor fits in the back part of the console so it's easy to grab if needed--but it sends an audible alert so I don't need to be looking at it constantly to catch a problem. So far so good it works as advertised. GM engineers really missed the mark on this important detail. People buying 3500 series trucks are likely pulling trailers with tire pressures higher than 100 psi. They should know this and design accordingly--I would really like to have been able to use the factory integrated system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I called Schrader's tech support. They are testing sensors with the .625" stem and a PSI of at least 125 (it was the number I chosen to ask about so I do not know if it goes higher). I do not think it was on GM about the lack of heavier duty internal sensors, as they just do not exist (2020 was the first year that 3500 trucks even had them) yet.

//KMac

·
Registered
2021 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW
32 Posts
We bought a 2020 Silverado LTZ/Z71 new in April 2020, have 18k trouble-free miles on it now. Not a single issue since new. It rides like an old Buick, is all-day comfortable and has averaged 24mpg with mixed suburban/highway commutes. We regularly pull 30-31 mpg on longer highway trips even with my lead foot. Performance is much better than expected. I don't recommend towing a heavier trailer (i.e. 7500 lbs) due to suspension set up but powertrain more than up to it. This has been the easiest truck to live with we've ever owned.

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
867 Posts
TSTTruck.com is stand-alone system with internal and external type sensors and work from 18wheelers to single axle Trailers. You can store multiple rigs, too

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A little follow up- I finally broke down and got OEM sensors for the trailer. I bypassed the front counter at Les Schwab and called the truck shop who advised that yes, they could program them. Took the trailer to them, they mounted the sensors and they synced right up.

Now I’d like to do the boat trailer but I think that I’ll try aftermarket and try to save a little cash.

·
Premium Member
2020 Chevy 3500 L5P CC LB SRW 2WD LTZ
32 Posts
Anyone seen any movement on the HS compatible sensors? Schrader is who looks the most promising. We tow 18000lbs and carry 110-115psi in the tires. I have the TST system but would really to integrate into the trucks screen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts