Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my motor, allison and transfer case out and all are back together like new again... my question is this Has anyone tried bolting up the motor and trans out of the truck then dropping them in as a unit? I am thinking it would be a lot easier getting to bolts and tighting them up without much in the way. I have the grill and everything above the lower bumper out of the way it looks like I could just slide them right in:) I am worried about the weight on the picker and where I have the bolts attached to the load leveler. Please chime in if you had a good/ bad experience installing engine and trans as a unit.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I would be concerned about the picker also. Mine is rated at 4,000 lbs-- with the tube all the way in-- in the exrtended position, it is rated at 1,000 lbs-- I am sure the combo b on. would exceed that. Sounds like an accident in the making. Now if you had someone that had a fork-lift, that would be better. Over head crane even better.

I agree it would be easier when connected-- of course GM has it all together before they drop the cab.

Good luck, and be careful.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice

well I ve got a lift truck that will do it, I was just more concerned with not being able to shoe horn it in there then have to un bolt them and start over....this has been one long azz project and I m ready to drive my duramax again in stead of looking at it in pieces

·
Registered
10 Posts
if it does work it'll be tight i'd be carefull and go slow so nothing breaks

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
be careful maybe take the hood off and be careful of the windshield.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it worked....Fyi

she was very tight..she aint tight she aint right:rof
bumper came off 2 the load leveler was right at the end of the 48" forks had to use a jack to guide the trans back and a better quality load leveler would have made it easier RIP Harbor frieght load leveler...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
ol harbor freight was a life saver today for my transmission

1 - 8 of 8 Posts