Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question for you guys. I am soon going to head up into the coal regions here in NE PA to pick up a load of coal for my dad and myself. Last time I hauled coal I threw a ton in the bed and a ton on a small trailer. This go around I would like to haul 2 ton for myself and 2 possibly 3 ton for my dad. I know the engine is up for it but I am wondering if it is even possible at all for the suspension and or the hitch. I am planning on renting a belmont dump trailer and putting the majority if not all of the coal in that. However with a bumper hitch I am a little worried at 5 ton of coal plus the weight of the trailer. I have a weight distribution hitch I use for towing my camper and thought maybe I could use it on the rental trailer?? Or I could throw a ton in the truck bed and 4 ton in the trailer but I'm afraid the truck is really gonna squat hard. Am I just being stupid here or should I stick to a smaller load?? This is when I wish I had a 3500 DRW.:rof

·
Registered
350 Posts
I tow 10K boat with the factory hitch on my 01. I use coal as well. I can get about 2tons of rice coal in my bed and my truck doesn't squat thanks to air bags...lol. Seriously your putting a ton in the bed she's gonna squat. If your really squatting it just gives the cops an excuse to pull u ever. Best bet is get all the coal in the trailer. Which would give you roughly 1000 lbs of tongue weight. Your truck will squat but it won't be as bad.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You said bumper hitch. What do you mean by that? A Reese hitch or are you actually talking about a ball on the bumper? I would not hesitate to pull it with a aftermarket hitch but the other one I would not.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Assuming you mean on the hitch (not just a ball in the bumper) you will be fine. Put all 5 tons on the trailer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 4,000 lb dump trailer then haul 6 tons of gravel in it all the time. No problems at all! Jus gotta distribute it in the trailer right

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have a 4,000 lb dump trailer then haul 6 tons of gravel in it all the time. No problems at all! Jus gotta distribute it in the trailer right
What? I think your numbers are a little off.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nope. I have a 14ft sure trac dump trailer which is 3800 lbs.it is rated for 14,000 lbs. load it up with 6 tons of gravel.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Belomont's smallest trailer is going to put you at 12,740 lbs, but since coal is not very dense, I don't think it will fit all that coal, even though the rating is there. So if you have to go with their biggest dump trailer, which is 14 ft, you'll be at 14,370.

I'm not sure that's such a good idea. Do you not have a gooseneck hitch?

Dump Trailers - Buy Trailers for Sale from Belmont Machine Dealers

·
Registered
607 Posts
Nope. I have a 14ft sure trac dump trailer which is 3800 lbs.it is rated for 14,000 lbs. load it up with 6 tons of gravel.
Oh, I got it. I thought you were saying it was a 4,000lb rated trailer. So, are you saying you're bumper pulling 15,800 lbs?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Oh, I got it. I thought you were saying it was a 4,000lb rated trailer. So, are you saying you're bumper pulling 15,800 lbs?
Is there anything wrong with pulling that much weight with a factory hitch? I pull a bri-mar 16ft dump trailer loaded with 15 foot logs all the time probably close to 18 or 19k lbs with the trailer weighing 6k lbs

·
Registered
120 Posts
Oh nope not 4000 lb rated trailer. Ha that'd be interesting. Yes bumper pulling 15,800 lbs

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is there anything wrong with pulling that much weight with a factory hitch? I pull a bri-mar 16ft dump trailer loaded with 15 foot logs all the time probably close to 18 or 19k lbs with the trailer weighing 6k lbs
Not sure.. Prolly above the recommended limit but whatever! Ha! I do know the 2012's have more towing capacity than earlier models

·
Registered
607 Posts
Nope, not at all. I bet you could put 20 more logs on it, you should probably put them on the tongue and stand them straight up and down.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I routinely hook a 40ft gooseneck trailer to my front hitch and push it down the interstate.

·
Registered
379 Posts
the most I have ever had in my dump trailer is 13k of shingles. The truck drank fuel but it didnt have a problem pulling. the dump trailer on the other hand is rated at 12k and it had a hard time dumping. If you have a trailer that can handle the load and trailer brakes you will be fine. If you dont have trailer brakes you will have to take it easy. It is kind of hard to stop 5 tons behind you using the truck alone.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Pulling that much routinely will likely cause issues with the stock hitch, it's a known weak spot. Every one-in-awhile is ok, but if you are doing it constantly, I would upgrade the hitch.

If you dont have trailer brakes you will have to take it easy. It is kind of hard to stop 5 tons behind you using the truck alone.
If you don't have trailer brakes with a 14,000 pound load, don't pull it at all.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Nope, not at all. I bet you could put 20 more logs on it, you should probably put them on the tongue and stand them straight up and down.
Really you think so? I will be sure to let you know how that turns out :drink I was asking a question. Not wanting a smart ass remark. My trailer is 6k and is rated to hold 12k so that is where the number 18k total which I checked on a scale with what I usually load in it and ya I have it set so the truck and trailer split the braking accordingly. Also my truck doesn't have a problem with it with the drop pintle and air bags. Also have my medical card which is what CT requires you to drive in that certain weight class.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck6821
Pulling that much routinely will likely cause issues with the stock hitch, it's a known weak spot. Every one-in-awhile is ok, but if you are doing it constantly, I would upgrade the hitch.

I think everyone has a different opinion on what stock hitch means and inherently interprets it wrong. I think of the stock hitch as the one that comes from factory ( not bumper). Bumper hitch to me means you are pulling with a ball on the bumper. Then you got gooseneck and fifth wheel which are hard to screw up knowing .

·
Registered
667 Posts
I can't imagine pulling any sizeable load with just a ball on the bumper. These trucks sit so high, I don't think it would work anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts