Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Duramax and had a diesel shop install EFI live and pull off the DPF. I did this at about 30k miles. The truck now has 76k miles which most are highway. I changed the fuel filter at 69k and yesterday I got a code to replace the fuel filter. When it did this is went into what I am suspecting is called "limp mode". I took it right in and had a new filter put in. The mechanic plugged in his computer and there was a code for the fuel filter and one for the EGR. He deleted both codes and I drove off and it seemed to run fine. After 10 miles the check engine light came on and it went into limp mode again. I thought when they installed the EFI live it deleted the EGR? I have the 5 tune which as I understand gives you 20,40,60,80,110 more horse power depending on level 1-5. 5 being the 110 hp increase. Can anyone help me understand whats going on with this engine?

thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
535 Posts
They didn't turn something off when deleted the egr. Take it back to who installed it and have them modify your tuning

·
Registered
432 Posts
Seems strange this would show up 46k miles later after being deleted.
Have you ever had an issue before?

·
Registered
2007 classic LBZ GMC Sierra sle2 crewcab longbed 4x4 Allison
10 Posts
I have a 2008 Duramax and had a diesel shop install EFI live and pull off the DPF. I did this at about 30k miles. The truck now has 76k miles which most are highway. I changed the fuel filter at 69k and yesterday I got a code to replace the fuel filter. When it did this is went into what I am suspecting is called "limp mode". I took it right in and had a new filter put in. The mechanic plugged in his computer and there was a code for the fuel filter and one for the EGR. He deleted both codes and I drove off and it seemed to run fine. After 10 miles the check engine light came on and it went into limp mode again. I thought when they installed the EFI live it deleted the EGR? I have the 5 tune which as I understand gives you 20,40,60,80,110 more horse power depending on level 1-5. 5 being the 110 hp increase. Can anyone help me understand whats going on with this engine?

thanks,
Tim
Had the same thing done make sure your egr wire harness is unplugged from egr completely and you taper up your plugs that will be hanging. EFI live works only with egr factory harness unplugged and there are two or three plug ins on one egr. If still coding bring back to EFI live programmer and do a download update sometimes the factory ecm pcm tries to override EFI live bit it is rare!

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Had the same thing done make sure your egr wire harness is unplugged from egr completely and you taper up your plugs that will be hanging. EFI live works only with egr factory harness unplugged and there are two or three plug ins on one egr. If still coding bring back to EFI live programmer and do a download update sometimes the factory ecm pcm tries to override EFI live bit it is rare!
This is false.. My EGR was removed originally 4 yrs ago from the program and I never removed it from the truck and never unplugged it. Truck ran Awesome in any of the DSP5 positions. about a yr ago I was under the hood and unplugged the EGR and still never had an issue as described. Now after having to have Music modified for new 4.10 gear I had to plug the EGR back in as the new Music is channel compliant.

·
Registered
2007 classic LBZ GMC Sierra sle2 crewcab longbed 4x4 Allison
10 Posts
This is false.. My EGR was removed originally 4 yrs ago from the program and I never removed it from the truck and never unplugged it. Truck ran Awesome in any of the DSP5 positions. about a yr ago I was under the hood and unplugged the EGR and still never had an issue as described. Now after having to have Music modified for new 4.10 gear I had to plug the EGR back in as the new Music is channel compliant.
This is false for you TRUTH for me and mine works flawlessly buddy! Trying to help ya out but you don’t need any knowledge I guess, 32 years spinning wrenches I know what goes on. Have a nice day.

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
Defeating emissions discussions are no longer allowed per the forum rules. Take it to PM's if you want to continue your debate... thx!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.