Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 656 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try to keep updating the progress of the parts I'm installing on my '18 dually.

List so far:
Morimoto 6500k 35w HID headlights
Morimoto LED fog lights
Black Anzo LED tail lights
Black RECON LED third brake light
diode dynamics LED reverse and license plate lights
20" black Mayhem 8101 Monstir wheels
LT275/65R20 Toyo Open Country A/T II
Spiked lugs
Pace Edwards tonneau
Black bowtie front/rear

Attachments

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
In my garage ready for install:

Zone 3" level with Fox shocks
BDS steering stabalizer
White color matched fender flairs
White mirror caps and door handles (in the mail)

I'm going to attempt the level today, not sure if the weather is going to cooperate and my truck doesn't fit in the garage.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Trying to decide if I like the single front fender flair look or front and rear, my front tire doesn't stick out much so I might add some Fred's 1/4" spacers in front.

****these pics are not my trucks, just reference********

I already have all four and their painted white.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Trying to decide if I like the single front fender flair look or front and rear, my front tire doesn't stick out much so I might add some Fred's 1/4" spacers in front.

****these pics are not my trucks, just reference********

I already have all four and their painted white.
I prefer the look of the white truck with the flares on all four corners.
Nice truck by the way.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I prefer the look of the white truck with the flares on all four corners.
Nice truck by the way.
Thanks, all four has been the plan just seeing what others think.

I did get the level on today, the front is about 1/2 lower than the rear but I'm going to drive it a little to see how much it settles.

Doing the job on my back in the driveway wasn't that bad, the hardest part was getting the BDS stabilizer shock into the mount. Did't get pics of that install yet.

Also installed the color matched mirror caps and door handles, maybe a 20 min job to switch everything out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Nice, looks good.

I just got a big box from Cognito today with some parts to finish off my leveling kit. Got my pisk kit, sway bar links, shock extenders and rear Foxes. Still waiting on tires and my front Fox reservoir’s. Decided to order up a few more things before I tackle this.

Did you do bds bracket for the stabilizer?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you do bds bracket for the stabilizer?
Yes, and it was the worst part of the entire install today.

After getting the bracket installed getting the shock into the bracket was a nightmare, I must have tried different things for an hour to get the shock in between the two arms.

Bad on me for not testing before mounting the bracket, if I would have tried and found out how tight it was I would have pried it apart a little first.

After going through the hassle of mounting the bracket I wasn't about to pull it back off.

After I finished I wanted to get to the rest of the kit so I didn't snap any pics of it installed but will clean it up and get some tomorrow.

I still need to install the DIFF lowering kit, didn't have time to get to that either but it's on the list for tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I thought that bracket looked like a pia to install. I was going to buy that kit and then I found out that stabilizers interfere with the Cognito pisk kit. So I am going to install the kit and then the stabilizer and see if I can lower a shock extender bracket enough so there is no interference and weld it on. The diff drop is not too bad, mine took about an hour. Looking forward to some pics.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Today's agenda will be to get the differential lowering kit installed and then at least get the front fender flairs on, I want to take my time on the rear to make sure all the cuts for the side marker lights fit into the fenders.

Also need to make some adjustments to my level now that it's settled a little and get it into the shop for an alignment.

After I make my adjustments and give it another day to settle, I'll have it aligned and then adjust my headlights. I don't drive at night very often so a couple days won't hurt anything.

Glad I jumped on these fenders while the painted ones were on sale for $400!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I attempted to get an alignment but the shop needs me to put my stock wheels back on the front first so i'll do that first thing in the morning.

On a side note, I've installed Bilstein 5100 on my last three trucks. After installing you notice a ride improvement and it's like' Yes these are better than stock.

These Fox shocks, WOW. These things really ride much better than stock and the 5100. After installing the bigger wheels I noticed a little rougher ride but not a big deal, now with the level and new shocks it better than when I drove off the lot.

Really happy I decided to upgrade to these over the zone shocks.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
That’s good to know about the shocks. I put the 5100’s on my last truck and they made a huge improvement. I was just about to order them for my new truck and in the end I changed my mind. I have always wanted reservoirs.These things are sexy. The fronts should be here Thursday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s good to know about the shocks. I put the 5100’s on my last truck and they made a huge improvement. I was just about to order them for my new truck and in the end I changed my mind. I always wanted reservoirs.These things are sexy. The fronts should be here Thursday.
Those are awesome, I went back and forth between buying a complete kit with Fox 2.0 or building a kit and getting the reservoirs.

In the end I decided just in case the fox shocks felt the same as 5100's I would just get the standard 2.0's. Now that I have them I love them but now I will always wonder how the ones' you have feel compared to what I have now.

I did try to fit the rear fenders, the top is good it's just the bottoms that don't line up.

So I called Farleys since they have so many GM dually's with flairs on their site.

They said they have to custom fit the SRW flairs to each truck as it comes in, just a bunch of trimming and the they have the shave the rear of the bolts and use thinner nuts so the don't hit the fender.

I asked if that was something they could do on a truck and then remove and ship out and they said they have to do it while the truck is there.

They also said they get calls every day about their gm dually rear flairs, but no chance of building and shipping in the future.

So it looks like I have my work cut out for me, unless I want to drive up to Canada and have them install them for me.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I think the shocks are valved the same so they should ride the same. Looking at the work you have done so far, you will be fine with those rear flares, just take your time.

Did you get the diff drop kit installed? If so how do your cv angles look?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the shocks are valved the same so they should ride the same. Looking at the work you have done so far, you will be fine with those rear flares, just take your time.

Did you get the diff drop kit installed? If so how do your cv angles look?
I didn't get to the diff, after I opened the box for the white flairs I had to get started.

Since I have to get the jack out to change the wheels tomorrow I'll get the diff at the same time.

As far as the shocks, I believe the fox shocks that come with the zone kit are a steel body. The ones you have are an aluminum body so they will cool faster, I saw this on a custom offsets youtube vid and that's what they said so I don't know how try it is.

For the little bit of towing I do in the summer and normal highway driving I don't think I would even notice a difference.

Hoping I have better luck with my progress in the morning, at the very least I want the diff lowered and an alignment done.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I put the swing away took box in my 3500, liked it so much bought one for other side! also have Pace Edwards electric cover!

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I turned put anything heavy in like a bottle Jack and sockets.....they will break.....had one break on me .... Cheap built lasted almost a year...... I need to find some new solutions

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 656 Posts