Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 6.6 that has been pushing out coolant intermittently over the past few months.when I fist notice I was driving and pulled up to a red light the temp dropped and the heat started blowing cold,as I pulled away from the light the temp went up and heat returned.I pulled over and saw large amounts of antifreeze leaving the overflow.
I have replace thermostats,overflow cap,and flushed heater core.each time it seems to resolve the issue for a few days then it starts again (as if it needs a few days to build up pressure).truck is scheduled to go into the dealership for new Hg's but I'm being threatened that if that is not the issue I will be stuck with the bill. Is there anything else I should look at that might cause this issue before getting the tear down?
Also any recalls that I should be aware of that might need to be addressed? I see a lot of people talking about injector cups?
any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.:help

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Park your truck overnight and if the upper radiator hose on drivers side is still hard in the morning then headgaskets are in order.Injector cups are possible but not worth taking the chance.ive been down that road and took the risk and resealed only the cups and it never worked for me yet.just get all the cups resealed when the heads are out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked the hose several times ( the last being this morning) and hose is of normal pliability. The thing that has me stumped is the fact that it seems to do this at will ( more so on colder days than warmer ones).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dealership checked for co2's in the antifreeze and nothing.They are hesitant in doing compression test,stating that they have done all the diagnostics that they can.Is there anything small that I could overlooking?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
tempature Guage stays normal?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Is the mixture correct and not overheating it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, temp drops when truck is not moving.
Example: Friday I drove it 30 miles to work while at a red light the temp dropped and air started to get cold as the light turned and I started driving it returned to hot.
temp will stay between 185-210 but when truck is idle it starts to drop and if sitting long enough it will drop to 160 and blow cold

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Each time you messed with the cooling system, did you have the bleeder screw out when you refilled it?

sure does sound like a headgasket on the way out though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes,its been bled and burped every time and that seems to do the trick for a day or two.
even when truck is cold the overflow has pressure on it.I can never open it without loosing some fluid.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Well, that not good.. Have you tried pulling the cap off and either replacing it, or at least soaking it in hot water? Just to rule out a bad coolant reservoir cap.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Where are you from by the way? Anyway this truck has an EGR "Cali truck" on it?

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
I would look into a diesel performance shop to do the work. I think it'd be a little cheaper and they would be more willing to use upgrades like studs and etc ect....

I just had my hg replaced about a month ago, and when it's at operating temp and I stop and let it idle it cools down to 165° even with a winter front on, it still blows heat all the time, same as before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If its the heads that works out for me because my aftermarket warranty will cover,I just want to make sure there is nothing small that I am am missing.I don't want to get stuck with the bill if its not the gasket.
The thing that bothers me is that the Chevy dealer was so persistent that it wasn't the heads and now they saying its the heads.. I'm having a hard time believing them but I'm stuck with them if I want it cover under the warranty.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Not much else you can do now, but let the stealership change the gaskets.

I agree with 830king, on it would have been nice to bring it to an independent to get studs. I would still ask the stealership if you bought the ARP head studs, if they would put them in.

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
Here is #7 on my lly, there was 4 other cylinders where the fire ring was starting to split. Has about 245k on it, low coolant light came on 1 time, and the upper radiator hose was firm twice.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I have a 2002 6.6 that has been pushing out coolant intermittently over the past few months.when I fist notice I was driving and pulled up to a red light the temp dropped and the heat started blowing cold,as I pulled away from the light the temp went up and heat returned.I pulled over and saw large amounts of antifreeze leaving the overflow.
I have replace thermostats,overflow cap,and flushed heater core.each time it seems to resolve the issue for a few days then it starts again (as if it needs a few days to build up pressure).truck is scheduled to go into the dealership for new Hg's but I'm being threatened that if that is not the issue I will be stuck with the bill. Is there anything else I should look at that might cause this issue before getting the tear down?
Also any recalls that I should be aware of that might need to be addressed? I see a lot of people talking about injector cups?
any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.:help
this is exactly what was happening to my truck when my head gasket failed. if your gonna do the head gaskets, may as well do studs while your there, studs are reusable, head bolts are not. i have also heard that the C grade gaskets are the thickest and give you a little more meat to work with and hold up better but that could be hear say.

Well, that not good.. Have you tried pulling the cap off and either replacing it, or at least soaking it in hot water? Just to rule out a bad coolant reservoir cap.

when my head gaskets wend, the system was over 50 PSI, it would launch the cap (and hot coolant) into the roof of the shop. that was an experience im not eager to repeat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.