Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing my head gaskets and is a Mahle a better head gasket or not any better than a updated GM Head Gasket? also I will be putting in ARP studs.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just did my head gaskets on my LLY and went with Mahle - largely based on Brent from LDS's recommendation. Think it was maybe a $40. upcharge, but with everything else I was spending, wasn't really noticeable. Get the grade "C" gaskets. The head gasket kit I got was also from Mahle, and was more than complete. If you've never tackled this read, read , read - and take pictures (plenty) as you disassemble. Went back to mine a lot putting all back together. Another tip - I tried to keep everything in order as I removed. This really helped when going back, knowing the order (I also spread out job over about 4 weeks). Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,585 Posts
Check with Lincoln Diesel on a head gasket kit. The last three head gasket jobs I've done I've gotten from them, and I use the GM gaskets for all mine. My LB7 isn't 'high performance' by a lot of comparison, but its not a stock truck having a 63mm charger and bigger injectors, and I have no reservation about using the GM gaskets whatsoever.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Head Gaskets with a LDS 63.5 turbo?

I will be replacing my head gaskets and is a Mahle a better head gasket or not any better than a updated GM Head Gasket? also I will be putting in ARP studs.
Anyone out there have any experience with Lincoln Diesels 63.5 turbo they are selling?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Head Gaskets

Update I got Mahle head gaskets and ARP studs from Lincoln diesel. I have an extra set of Lb7 heads that I took into the shop to get checked over and valves re machined over. When I get them back I will be putting them on about April-May and will let you all know how everything turns out.

Reactions: Dales Super Store

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
From the research i did, the GM gaskets were slightly thicker, if that matters to you. I dont think theres a significant quality difference between the 2 though.
GM makes 3 different thickness head gaskets and it matters if you care about piston protrusion which I would say all of us should care about.

Glad you contacted Brent at LDS. Guys amazing and wont lead you the wrong way!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts