Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax head gaskets went bad I have about 240,000 miles should I fix it or trade truck in

·
Registered
132 Posts
I vote fix it.it's got a,lot of life left.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax head gaskets went bad I have about 240,000 miles should I fix it or trade truck in
Ok I’m having it fixed but I was under the impression I was getting new ones he told me today machine shop working on old ones now I’m nervous cause I thought those were no good please help are they or not

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm assuming the heads are what's at the machine shop being checked for cracks and flatness. Once the machine shop gives them a clean bill of health your mechanic will then install them with new headgaskets.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I guess this is normal I was under the impression many have this problem because the ones they used no good so why put them back in there also is it bad that I’m doing it w this many miles 240,000

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
So I guess this is normal I was under the impression many have this problem because the ones they used no good so why put them back in there also is it bad that I’m doing it w this many miles 240,000
The heads are not the issue its the gaskets,but when they leak regardless of it being a duramax or a chevette the heads are checked and decked if need be then reassembled and sent back for install

Reactions: nashguy207

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Im guessing you are not entirely familiar with automotive maintenance processes and procedures. Perhaps a bit of an explanation will help.

First of all, IMHO you got good advice to repair the engine.

In addition to checking the heads for cracks (which they can sometimes repair) and whether or not they have warped (in which case they will mill them perfectly flat again) they will most likely do a "Valve Job" This entails removing the valves, checking their seats for cracks, machining the seats and valves, replacing the valve guide seals, springs, spring keepers and reassembling them.

This is all normal practice. Since you have the heads off anyway why not go ahead and get that part of the engine back to as close to new as possible, increasing its longevity.

They should also use upgraded bolts or studs as well as new head gaskets to insure a job that will last a long long time, making yoru investment in this work pay the future dividends you desire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im guessing you are not entirely familiar with automotive maintenance processes and procedures. Perhaps a bit of an explanation will help.

First of all, IMHO you got good advice to repair the engine.

In addition to checking the heads for cracks (which they can sometimes repair) and whether or not they have warped (in which case they will mill them perfectly flat again) they will most likely do a "Valve Job" This entails removing the valves, checking their seats for cracks, machining the seats and valves, replacing the valve guide seals, springs, spring keepers and reassembling them.

This is all normal practice. Since you have the heads off anyway why not go ahead and get that part of the engine back to as close to new as possible, increasing its longevity.

They should also use upgraded bolts or studs as well as new head gaskets to insure a job that will last a long long time, making yoru investment in this work pay the future dividends you desire.
Hi you are right I don’t know anything about mechanics I really should by now but can you please help me understand my truck in shop right now they just called me said typical chevy problem which is metal in the whole fuel system $7500 fix what causes this is it even worth fixing I don’t know what to do

·
Registered
859 Posts
I had this happen your cp4 pump went out it is a known problem if it's at an Independent shop talk to them about doing a cp3 conversion search on this forum a lot of info about it on here

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had this happen your cp4 pump went out it is a known problem if it's at an Independent shop talk to them about doing a cp3 conversion search on this forum a lot of info about it on here
Yes that’s what we are gonna do I guess you think it’s worth it it has 250,000

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes that’s what we are gonna do I guess you think it’s worth it it has 250,000
It’s worth it if you feel like spending $7,500 on a 9 year old truck. It’s not worth it if you want a new truck.

What happened is your fuel pump started going out and sent metal into the fuel system. This is known as CP4 failure.
The head gaskets also went out. The gasket sits between the engine block and cylinder head. The heads are aluminum and the block is iron. The heads can warp so a machine shop can check to make sure they’re flat. If they’re not flat they can be ‘decked’ (flattened/surfaced) but only if they’re not warped too bad. If they’re warped to bad you need new cylinder heads.

I’m surprised there is metal in the fuel system if you were changing fuel filters regularly. Maybe have them install a $700 lift pump with air and water separators while they’re in there working in your truck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s worth it if you feel like spending $7,500 on a 9 year old truck. It’s not worth it if you want a new truck.

What happened is your fuel pump started going out and sent metal into the fuel system. This is known as CP4 failure.
The head gaskets also went out. The gasket sits between the engine block and cylinder head. The heads are aluminum and the block is iron. The heads can warp so a machine shop can check to make sure they’re flat. If they’re not flat they can be ‘decked’ (flattened/surfaced) but only if they’re not warped too bad. If they’re warped to bad you need new cylinder heads.

I’m surprised there is metal in the fuel system if you were changing fuel filters regularly. Maybe have them install a $700 lift pump with air and water separators while they’re in there working in your truck.

Yes I always changed fuel filter on time my head gaskets we’re done 6 months ago they just leveled them back out that was 6000 that wouldn’t have caused this to happen right? And a couple years ago I had it deleted?

·
Registered
859 Posts
So are you putting a cp3 or a cp4 mine is a 2012 stock no delete my cp4 went out I only had 70k on the truck I had a new cp4 done at the dealer wish I had taken it to an independent shop and had a cp3 done the dealer gave me 3 year unlimited mileage warranty on the cp4 its really up to you I would not think selling or trading the truck with fuel system out you would not get very much for it

·
Registered
285 Posts
So are you putting a cp3 or a cp4 mine is a 2012 stock no delete my cp4 went out I only had 70k on the truck I had a new cp4 done at the dealer wish I had taken it to an independent shop and had a cp3 done the dealer gave me 3 year unlimited mileage warranty on the cp4 its really up to you I would not think selling or trading the truck with fuel system out you would not get very much for it
Man this is hard to read. :unsure:
Try using sentence structure when you write something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are supposed to be putting the cp3 on it and a lift pump mine is a 2011 with 245,000 it has been the best truck till last 6 months but I guess they can only go so far

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes I always changed fuel filter on time my head gaskets we’re done 6 months ago they just leveled them back out that was 6000 that wouldn’t have caused this to happen right? And a couple years ago I had it deleted?
Changing the fuel filter probably kept the damage down. They decked your heads so they probably weren’t that bad and there isn’t a problem reusing the. Same thing I did with my truck. Common and nothing to worry about. It’s like using a knife to cut the high spots on a cake. Doesn’t ruin the cake.

Deleted? What did you delete?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Changing the fuel filter probably kept the damage down. They decked your heads so they probably weren’t that bad and there isn’t a problem reusing the. Same thing I did with my truck. Common and nothing to worry about. It’s like using a knife to cut the high spots on a cake. Doesn’t ruin the cake.

Deleted? What did you delete?
Def system

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I blew my motor up at 402k, replaced with a motor with 160k for $5k...ish plus upgrades. Then 25-30k later blew the head gaskets. I have $2k in parts waiting to go in just to do the heads, plus around $4k to pay the mechanic this time.

These bills are a small price to pay for a truck thats paid off, and that I really cant see ever selling.

As stated, the head gasket issue and fuel system are not related. I will add, if a head is cracked and cant be repaired, or warped severely, they will recommend new heads. More just for those reading the thread now as I presume yours are repaired. Generally they can be repaired as long as the system doesnt loose all coolant and get hot. If the system gets hot, and the coolant is to low, it will create steam inside the head. There usually trash afterwards from what I have been told.

But yeah, cp3 conversion, and lift pump if your keeping it. If your thinking you may flog the truck after, save yourself the 700 bucks. Remember, a new truck will probably cost 12k a year in payments, and higher insurance. If you wanna save money, your still further ahead fixing what you have, especially if its paid off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts