Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I blew my motor up at 402k, replaced with a motor with 160k for $5k...ish plus upgrades. Then 25-30k later blew the head gaskets. I have $2k in parts waiting to go in just to do the heads, plus around $4k to pay the mechanic this time.

These bills are a small price to pay for a truck thats paid off, and that I really cant see ever selling.

As stated, the head gasket issue and fuel system are not related. I will add, if a head is cracked and cant be repaired, or warped severely, they will recommend new heads. More just for those reading the thread now as I presume yours are repaired. Generally they can be repaired as long as the system doesnt loose all coolant and get hot. If the system gets hot, and the coolant is to low, it will create steam inside the head. There usually trash afterwards from what I have been told.

But yeah, cp3 conversion, and lift pump if your keeping it. If your thinking you may flog the truck after, save yourself the 700 bucks. Remember, a new truck will probably cost 12k a year in payments, and higher insurance. If you wanna save money, your still further ahead fixing what you have, especially if its paid off.
Yes that’s about only thing I can do if I don’t want payments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did head gaskets and studs on a 2012 about 6 months ago. It had around 200k on it and I recommended replacing the CP4 while I had it all apart. I got a new upgraded CP4 from Lincoln Diesel. It's a no brainer while you have the heads off. Literally takes less then an hour to replace it with the heads off. I service a lot of LMLs and have yet to see a CP4 failure. Have seen 3 CP4s in the 6.7 Powerstroke that have failed. Just my $.02

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did head gaskets and studs on a 2012 about 6 months ago. It had around 200k on it and I recommended replacing the CP4 while I had it all apart. I got a new upgraded CP4 from Lincoln Diesel. It's a no brainer while you have the heads off. Literally takes less then an hour to replace it with the heads off. I service a lot of LMLs and have yet to see a CP4 failure. Have seen 3 CP4s in the 6.7 Powerstroke that have failed. Just my $.02
An Upgraded CP4, or was it an upgraded CP 3? Most of their kits seem to be a conversion to a CP3

21 - 24 of 24 Posts