Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently replaced head gaskets due to overheating and coolant in oil. upgraded and studded having the same issue all over again seeing if anyone knows what it could be had the heads tested .junk motor? heads cracked? or injectors?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Injectors would not do that.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New water pump ,oil cooler ,glow plugs ,all new gaskets and o rings on everything,also new push rods and rings

·
Premium Member
8,686 Posts
Did you have your heads pressure tested when they were off? Very possible there is an issue in your heads somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,559 Posts
Generally head gaskets will not cross-contaminate. Cups will allow excessive pressure in cooling system or coolant in cylinder to burn or hydrolock. Generally even a cracked head does not cross-contaminate either.

If you are mixing coolant and oil, you probably have one of two things going. Oil cooler has failed allowing it to blend together, or you have a crack in a cylinder wall that is allowing coolant to leak into the pan.

If it was happening and that caused you to do all this work, and that's when the water pump was changed, then that rules out a bad water pump allowing coolant to pass through it into the front cover. Not a likely problem anyway, but that eliminates that chance.

Personally, I would try an oil cooler first.

Reactions: adrian9312

·
Premium Member
8,686 Posts
How many miles on the truck?

Having ruled out oil cooler, my guess would be a crack in the block or head somewhere. Have you tried pressurizing the system to see how fast it leaks down?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just a thought, and maybe a terrible thought, but if you can see oil are you sure it isn't trans oil? I just did head gaskets on my 04.5 and I took my radiator out and I almost couldn't see through any sections. I cleaned out so many weeds and several pounds of mud. My thought is maybe your radiator is cracked and or clogged, and it could be mixing trans oil with the coolant. did you take it out and inspect it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You indicate overheating. You have replaces studs, gaskets. You do not indicate if the heads were milled - flat. Overheating causes warpage in the aluminum heads. At this time, rather that tearing it all apart, do a pressure check on the coolant system to find the leakage. A competent shop can do this. If a low pressure leak test does not reveal, that can consider a high pressure check. To do that you need to isolate the engine coolant system from the radiates and cabin heat exchangers - they generally get damaged at high pressures - 40 psi.
If that still does not work (as happened to me), I sent it to SoCal diesel who found a cracked head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just saw a similar thread and the issue ended up being a bad soft plug behind the water pump.
Yeah, my truck. Brand new build and completely contaminated oil. For the few minutes it ran, there was no way a gasket would allow that much water in the oil. Turned out to be a popped freeze plug behind the water pump.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,559 Posts
Oil cooler in the oil filter housing is usually bullet proof but might want to look at that, they can fail.
The oil cooler has already been replaced. I missed that being said in one of his replies too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The oil cooler has already been replaced. I missed that being said in one of his replies too.
I saw that also but 2 oil coolers on the truck, one in front of the stack and the filter housing, wasn't sure which one he replaced. I assumed it was the one in the stack as that is the one most refer to as the oil cooler. I didn't want him to overlook any possibilities. Granted, the filter housing is the only place he would pick up coolant.
Personally, I would be looking at the heads for a crack or cup leaks. If the heads weren't pressure tested and not surfaced, he may have a crack he can't see that creates a bigger problem when torqued. Sometimes hard for us to brainstorm on someone else's truck when we are not there and and don't have all the detailed of how it was done.

·
Premium Member
8,686 Posts
I saw that also but 2 oil coolers on the truck, one in front of the stack and the filter housing, wasn't sure which one he replaced. I assumed it was the one in the stack as that is the one most refer to as the oil cooler. I didn't want him to overlook any possibilities. Granted, the filter housing is the only place he would pick up coolant.
Personally, I would be looking at the heads for a crack or cup leaks. If the heads weren't pressure tested and not surfaced, he may have a crack he can't see that creates a bigger problem when torqued. Sometimes hard for us to brainstorm on someone else's truck when we are not there and and don't have all the detailed of how it was done.

There’s a transmission fluid cooler in the stack, but no engine oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
8,686 Posts
Transmission cooler in the radiator, factory engine oil cooler in front of the stack on my 07.

The transmission fluid passes through the radiator, then to the cooler in front of the stack, check the lines. There was never a factory oil cooler in the front stack. If there is one there it was added by somebody.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The transmission fluid passes through the radiator, then to the cooler in front of the stack, check the lines. There was never a factory oil cooler in the front stack. If there is one there it was added by somebody.

You are correct.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you have your heads pressure tested when they were off? Very possible there is an issue in your heads somewhere.

As stated here if you installed injector sleeves when installing injectors they will leak if they are not sealed correctly, can be easily done even by the professionals out there who at times want to finish a product or just make a simple mistake of not using enough red loctite and or seating them correctly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts