Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
possibly since i bought the truck am loosing coolant and have a constant high pressure in the cooling system. if i open the reservoir in the morning after the truck sat all night, the top radiator hose is semi hard, it releases a lot of air and if i open it fast a lot of coolant will come out, if i fill it back up, put the cap on and start the truck usually with in a few mills the truck will warm up, push some coolant out the over flow tube and turn on the low coolant light. coolant temp seems to never go above 175ish now that it is cooler out. no oil in the coolant, and no coolant in the oil. what do you guys think? also since the turbo is water cooled is it possible for boost pressure to get in the cooling system there? if i do need gaskets, is it worth it do head studs, i have almost enough $ right now to get the merchant head gasket kit with the studs. thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Yes-- you have head gasket problems. You have to replace the head bolts anyway, if you do the gaskets-- so for a couple hundred more-- install studs. You won't have to worry about head gaskets again.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,886 Posts
Yep, time for new gaskets. While you're in there, you might as well do the studs too, no better time than now to do it. Like ^^ said, you have to replace the bolts anyway

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. kid that had it before me ran a ppe tuner on it with no gauges and beat the hell out of the truck and wasnt a very good mechanic, the reason why i got the truck so cheap

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like its about 1300 for everything i need and a few other parts from merchant, to do the gaskets with studs. should be able to get the heads cut for around 100 i hope

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks , replied your pm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts