Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this but at that mark (700hp) your going to need rods before you need headstuds. I am under the impression that the headstuds will break and valve springs give at a certian level of boost where rods in a LB7 will bend anywhere above 600HP.

The example in my mind is a 650hp truck running 30-40 psi will bend a rod before breaking a headstud.

and then the other example would be a big turbo on a stock motor push 50-60psi but only at 500hp will break headstuds before bending rods.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Never heard of a head bolt breaking.
Because I am new in the diesel scene and you have built your own motor I trust your opinion.

So why does everyone want to replace their head studs then? I am under the impression that under higher boost pressures, it will raise the head and when that happens the stud is broken or stretched. No longer able to be tightened to the correct torque specs.

Help me understand why it is or is not important to do head studs on a LB7 motor because it has been on my list of upgrades but if I can spend that money else where......

·
Registered
493 Posts
most of the time guys only put in studs in a duramax when upgrading a turbo that will be pushing more then 40 pounds of boost or when the heads fail. so it all depends on what your going to do. their are plenty of guys running their truck on max effort tunes running 35 pounds or so on stock bolts an hold just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts