Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

I'm in the middle replacing head gaskets (and a bunch of other stuff while I'm in there). My heads are at the machine shop right now. I've never done this before, never used a machine shop, and the machine shop I was referred to just builds engines but he didn't seem too familiar with the Duramax.

Anyway, after much frustration, he finally cleaned the heads and pressure tested them, they were both fine.

He says that they need new valve guides, a valve job, and surfacing. Total cost for the work about $1200 (including $208 just for the parts cost of the guides).

Is this even in the ballpark for this kind of work? Seems very high to me. I'd like some input before I walk in there and take my heads back.

Thanks

·
Registered
945 Posts
$208 for guides isn't bad. The rest is labor.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I just had mine done, total charge was $700. Cleaned, surfaced, new valve guides, valve job, and reassembled. I provided the new valve seals.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$208 for guides isn't bad. The rest is labor.

Really? Merchant Auto sells them for $1.25. That's $40 plus tax. Now I understand that maybe the shop wants to mark them up a little but from $40 to $208 seems like a stretch

$700 plus the cost of the guides sounds a lot more reasonable than $1200

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Guides were included in that $700

·
Registered
945 Posts
Really? Merchant Auto sells them for $1.25. That's $40 plus tax. Now I understand that maybe the shop wants to mark them up a little but from $40 to $208 seems like a stretch

$700 plus the cost of the guides sounds a lot more reasonable than $1200

You have a link to them? I just searched their site all I saw was used valve spring retainers and used valve keepers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I paid 1200 for a cleaning, resurfacing, valve job at a good shop where I live.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts