Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any after market head units that can be used to display engine stats? I was just looking at the prices of an Edge CTS2 ($400-600) for monitoring, then add the tuner (about $700+) and it gets spendy quickly. Got me thinking that perhaps there is something on the market that plugs into the OBDII port, reads the data from the sensors, then outputs it to a display such as a head unit. In that configuration you'd at least be spending money on a nice head unit that you'd use for other things as well. I might be totally off base here, but figured I'd ask.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had the same thoughts when I bought my LMM, I had an Android head unit made by Eonon that was actually really nice, had a Bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 module, installed the Torque Pro app on the head unit. It worked to a degree but in my opinion not near as good as the edge insight CTS2. Not only that but the edge can control accessories like lights or air compressors, can switch your tunes if your running a DSP5 setup, and can also support a hardware EGT probe which if your towing heavy or frequently, or running hot tunes your gonna want that.

At the end of the day I bit the bullet and bought the CTS2 hah.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Their may be some options. What year truck are you installing this on?
Truck in my signature. 2006 LBZ.

Although reading the other comments, seems like just getting a CTS2 is probably worth the $$$. Just trying to think outside the box. I currently have the stock Bose system in my truck, with an iPhone hard wired to the Aux input on the back, and it works decent. However, my front right speaker recently started cutting in/out and I need to check the connections first, but I've ready its a common issue with the Bose amp to fail over time, so I'm now toying with getting a new HU with Apple Carplay, especially since there is a bunch of new ones on the market that are much slimmer than before.

Appreciate the response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts