Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys, need some help here, i have a 2002 GMC LB7 and was on my way home from atving this weekend and stoped at a friends house and the coolant was blowing out the over flow.

We parked there for the night anyway and in the morning i went out to check the coolant level and took off the rad cap and BOOSH!!!!! out it came everywhere. So i am getting compression on the coolant bottle, i have heard of the injector cup problem but they were done 45000miles ago so i doubt its that. the upper rad hose is buldged and rock solid, what i am wondering is there anyway to narrow it down to head gaskets or do i have to tear it down? I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to what to put in it or if GM makes a kit? also is there a ''how to guide '' on here some where to this? of a manual from the dealer ?

any input would be appreacited

thanks

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
You have all the classic signs of head gasket problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any threads on here of a step by step?

·
Waldo
788 Posts
High EGTS will cause bad headgaskets, so can improper installation and just plain time. I don't know of a step by step guide, but they really aren't that hard to do. Figure you can do it in a weekend without a problem.

·
Registered
859 Posts
super search BULLYDOGJASON we both had our trucks torn apart at the same time. He posted many pics that was very helpfull

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We stock Head gaskets kits.(all the seals, o-rings, and gaskets needed to replace your head gaskets)
LB7 Head Gasket Kit
thanks nickMA i ordered the kit from you guys, i have the engine torn down, but i can seem to get the injector cups out? any suggestions as to how to pull the out? i dont have the tool but though there was maby a tip.

thanks again.

ps your website is awesome lots of great info on there!!!!!! keep up the good work

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok guys in the middle of putting it back together and we started torquing the heads and the 1st M8 broke off in the block, the torque spec is 18lbs-ft and i even checked the T wrench in the vice, so we just swapped the broken on for another to try and get one side done and the rest of them M8's will not torque up they feel like they are streching. Is there anything special about these bolt? or are they just M8 bolts i can just replace out of my inventory and torque them up? My gasket set didnt come with them and all the paper work says you reuse them. I am really stuck and truckless

thanks

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
You tried re-useing the headbolts?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You tried re-useing the headbolts?
no, i got the kit form Mechant Auto, and it came with new headbolts, but there are 8 ( 4 per side ) M8 X 3.5 bolts that hold the top of the head over the push rods. The head bolts are M12 and they are all new with the kit. But the M8's dont come with it

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Gotcha. I've never torn into an LB7 so I'm not much help there. I just know you cant re-use the headbolts. Did you try calling Merchants?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts