Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 LBZ headlamps don't work right. They come on automatically but that's it. The knob has no effect. For now I'm just trying to understand how they are supposed to work. I see this in the manual

"
To turn off the automatic headlamp system, turn the
exterior lamps switch to the off position and then
release. Turning off the automatic headlamp system
with the headlamp switch is not available for vehicles for vehicles first sold for Canada."

What is the exterior lamps switch ? I am unable to find any other reference to it. Are they talking about the knob?

Gotta start somewhere. Something so simple yet so complex. Hopefully I don't need a new software update.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
My 06 LBZ headlamps don't work right. They come on automatically but that's it. The knob has no effect. For now I'm just trying to understand how they are supposed to work. I see this in the manual

"
To turn off the automatic headlamp system, turn the
exterior lamps switch to the off position and then
release. Turning off the automatic headlamp system
with the headlamp switch is not available for vehicles for vehicles first sold for Canada."

What is the exterior lamps switch ? I am unable to find any other reference to it. Are they talking about the knob?

Gotta start somewhere. Something so simple yet so complex. Hopefully I don't need a new software update.

if the truck was made for sale in Canada the auto lights may not be able to be disabled, due to Canadian law. However you should be able to turn the knob for the parking lights near the 4hi selector all the way counter clockwise and release and it should turn the lights off. The switch mentioned is the one for parking lights and headlights to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
That is the headlight switch. Turn to left and let it go. To turn heads back on turn all the way to right and put back in auto position

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that its dark I tried something again. It appears that knob has no effect whatsoever, so maybe that knob is some kind of controller logic and requires power itself so maybe its got a separate fuse? Can't turn DRL off during the day either.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
The switch sits at the 'Auto' position (printed on the switch 'Auto')
1 notch to the right (sparkle icon), Auto override to parking lights only.
2nd notch to the right (headlight icon), Auto override to headlights & parking lights.

1 notch to the left (circle O icon) then release (springs back to 'Auto' default position), disables the 'Auto', turning off not only the headlights & parking lights, but if in daylight, also kills the DRLs.

Fog light button engaged, parking lights also will light. Even though you hit the momentary switch to the left to disable 'Auto', fog function keeps 'em lit.

A new switch is inexpensive, easy to install.
https://www.1aauto.com/chevy-gmc-cadillac-hummer-headlight-switch/i/1azhs00266?f=1124809&y=2006

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
The switch sits at the 'Auto' position (printed on the switch 'Auto')
1 notch to the right (sparkle icon), Auto override to parking lights only.
2nd notch to the right (headlight icon), Auto override to headlights & parking lights.

1 notch to the left (circle O icon) then release (springs back to 'Auto' default position), disables the 'Auto', turning off not only the headlights & parking lights, but if in daylight, also kills the DRLs.

Fog light button engaged, parking lights also will light. Even though you hit the momentary switch to the left to disable 'Auto', fog function keeps 'em lit.

A new switch is inexpensive, easy to install.
https://www.1aauto.com/chevy-gmc-cadillac-hummer-headlight-switch/i/1azhs00266?f=1124809&y=2006

It could also be working as designed for that truck. The Canadian trucks ive worked on that switch does nothing except turn the headlights on, if they were already off. It does not turn off the head lights (if there on from auto lights) or the parking lights if your in drive. Replacing the switch in that case would have no effect. I believe you can change this behavior but it would require a re flash of the BCM.

If you really need the headlights to turn off for some reason, it would probably be easier to wire in a couple relays to a switch and interrupt the headlight wire. Ive done this in the past for people, usually military since my understanding is your required to turn your lights off when entering a gate, but ive done it for other people as well.

There's another option as well that may work, but ive not tested it for this use. When installing a remote start, i usually would hook up a negative output (ground) to the parking brake wire, this will disable the headlights, but it only works if you ground the wire before starting the truck. The same can be accomplished by clicking the parking brake 1 notch before starting the truck. This WILL bypass the auto lights even on Canadian model trucks.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
OP is in Central TX. Open the driver door, look for the (Proudly) made in Flint sticker.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
OP is in Central TX. Open the driver door, look for the (Proudly) made in Flint sticker.
the build location does not determine the intended sales destination of the truck, you would think it would, but my first truck was built in Canada for sale in the US, and did not have the Canadian light circuit, and my current truck was built in the US and was made for sale in Canada, even has metric gauges. my oil pressure reads in KPa... im not saying replacing the switch wont fix the issue, im saying that it might not fix the issue.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure that this is not a Canada truck. the only reason the Canada thing came up is I copy pasted exactly the wording in my pdf user manual. What bothered me was the wording "exterior lamps switch" since I couldn't find any other reference to that wording. I was thinking it was that round spring loaded knob but I wanted to be sure.

When I got the truck at 168K miles I think it worked properly. I remember consciously turning off the DRLs. Now the DRLs don't come on at all and the switch does not have an effect on any lighting. Nothing happens.

I have removed the dash twice to replace the tach stepper motor and to replace the radio. Maybe something came loose on the switch or if a fuse drives that switch then I may have blown that fuse. I was thinking too old school that if the lights are on then the fuse must be good, but truth is the lights can come on when they need to despite whether that switch works or has power.

In a working system can you turn on the lights manually if the engine is not running?

I am going to look for a block diagram of the switch operation so I can either test it or figure out how to work around it. I hope that this switch is not a complex switch that talks on some serial CANBUS to a system lighting control processor.

I would assume that the 1/2T trucks have a similar switch?

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
'Murica!
In a working system can you turn on the lights manually if the engine is not running?
Yes....and have the driver's door open when you do...."ding ding ding ding" annoying warning goes off.

Edit;
Does the dimmer roller knob do anything to the dash lights?
And
you checked the DRLs with it in Neutral and running?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing is ever simple, if it is then somehow I end up making it more complicated. Since I replaced my factory standard radio with a dual din frys special the ding-ding disappeared because I think the ding ding actually comes out of the radio speakers in the oem model. So no ding ding ever. I'm guessing that headlight switch triggers a relay. If anyone has links to the block diagram I'd appreciate hearing about them. I've looked at a few but they seem to end up digressing to something not relevant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has this issue been resolved? I have the same problem on my 04 LLY, i have a headlamp switch tester coming from Spartan to see if it fixes it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts