Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to take down my headliner on a 09 CC. Any one done it and how hard was it?:help

I want to add switches to the overhead console and add cablights at the same time.

Thanks in advance....Pat.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump..........

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dropping the headliner isn't terribly difficult. You have to remove the visors, A pillar covers, center overhead console and dome light to drop it enough to put in cab lights. Everything is pretty self-explanatory. To remove the overhead console, pop off the clear light cover and there are two torx screws that hold it up. Wiring disconnects with a quick disconnect plug.

As for mounting switches, the overhead console comes molded with the support rings for switches already mounted. You'll see them when you remove it. Carling makes some very nice OEM style switches that pop right in. Very easy project with an X-Acto knife or Dremel. Just take your time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Convoyduel the sunvisors they come down by poping the covers off then I assume there is some screws under there. The pillar post covers they just pop off as well?
Sorry for the dumb questions just hate to screw something up.

I want to put switches in the overhead console and add smoked(seeing the truck is Black) Recon cab lights at the same time.
I have taken the overhead console out to see if the switches would fit and it looks good.

Thanks for youre help.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wanted to drop it down in the front part only. Enough to fish some wires through for some cab lights and switches.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The piller post in the front should have a little cover on the drivers side that pops off and there is a 9/32 bolt I think I could be wrong and on the pass just take off the oh shit handle.. just watch out pulling down on the headliner when its off as the wires are glue on to the headliner!

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can take the whole thing out all you need is a hammer and a vacuum for all the broken glass haha but if you need any more help just pm me!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't remember the size, but the A-pillar covers are held on with a bolt and snap clips. The visors are held on with screws behind the covers.

The cab lights should run to the passenger side power distribution box on the right side of the dash. I don't remember which pin it goes to, but its simple to do. You'll have to make your own wiring harness. There was an outstanding how-to with pictures and factory measurements on another forum. The Recon lights themselves come with nothing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you guys have any photo's of your switches installed. Don't know if you guys have the moon roof or not like me but I have been trying to think of a place to mount some switches for extra lighting that I want to add such as neons under the truck and some trailer hitch work lights.

:help

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here is a couple of pictures of my extra switches. I used some switches from Carling, an OEM supplier.

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks great. That is exactly what I want to do to mine.

Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here is a couple of pictures of my extra switches. I used some switches from Carling, an OEM supplier.

Thanks for the pics, that looks great. How did you make the cuts for the red switches in the front. Also are there more areas under the console for more of the black switches or is there only the three spots. two of those spots on mine are already used as I have the moonroof and that is where they put the switches for them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The red switches are located in the pop-out where most have a front air bag on/off light. Not sure why mine didn't have it, but the wiring harness was right behind it. I removed the pop-out and the switches fit perfectly. I used a small piece from where I cut out the other black switches to match and fill in the gap between the two red switches.

I installed the black switches at the location of the rib support on the back side of the cover. the switches were the same dimension. I was going to balance them across, but I preferred to keep them in locations with the rib support.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts