Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heated seats decide to turn on and off as they please. It seems to happen more when it is raining which suggests a short in the door control module. The dealer wants $85 to flash the module with no guarantee it will fix it. It sucks when its hot here in Texas and out of nowhere your rear end and back spontaneously combust. How hard is it to take the door panel off? Any special tools needed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone had this EXACT same problem as "ONLY WHEN RAINING" and or moisture is involved. I highly doubt it is the switch. there HAS to be rain water getting in somewhere? any ideas on where to start looking for moisture problems?

I have searched and cannot find an absolute solution to this problem. I have seen people have an issue of seat going on and off by itself WITHOUT moisture problem as well. ON MINE (and sounds like OPs) It is only after a good rain.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Unplug them... done

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Yes - That is what I needed, a smart aleck reply - THANK YOU SO MUCH
It wasnt smart aleck, and was intended more for the OP in Texas that might never need his seats heated.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Has anyone had this EXACT same problem as "ONLY WHEN RAINING" and or moisture is involved. I highly doubt it is the switch. there HAS to be rain water getting in somewhere? any ideas on where to start looking for moisture problems?

I have searched and cannot find an absolute solution to this problem. I have seen people have an issue of seat going on and off by itself WITHOUT moisture problem as well. ON MINE (and sounds like OPs) It is only after a good rain.

Thank you in advance!
Have you taken the door skin off after rain to see if anything is getting in?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Are yo sure that you aren't hitting the switch with your fingers? It is right next to the window controls. Just a thought, I hit mine all of the time in my 04 and don't realize it until my ass and back are on fire and its too late!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It wasnt smart aleck, and was intended more for the OP in Texas that might never need his seats heated.
OK - my bad,, I take it back...
However, that still does not solve the problem, yes , it may be a temporary fix, but some people enjoy a little extra heat on a sore back from time to time.

I too unplug my seat when it rains, until I find a solution.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I hear ya. Im in New England and just enjoyed my first winter with heated seats. However, on my side, only the lumbar heat works which is all I need.
Now Im not sure what year you have, but I seem to recall reading about the seat power harness rubbing through under the seat and causing all different kinds of issues.
I know how annoying the rain-related intermittent issue is. My 1500's radio would cut out everytime it had rained, sometimes for days following rain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How hard is it to take the door panel off? Any special tools needed?
No special tools needed. screw driver, T15 (I think) torx head driver, 7mm (Once again "I think") socket. (cannot recall them at the moment, but those are close.)
On mine, I first pull off the cover up behind the mirror, I use a small flat screw driver to pull out the push-in thingy near the hinge, use a small flat screw driver to pop off the cover on the opposite end to reveal the torx head screw, use a small flat screw driver to pop out the slide lock, There is a 7mm head screw there, and another just below the handle. Once those are all off, panel pulls up and out. there you will see all the wire connections. I usually disconnect them all to completely free the panel from the door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ended up taking the switch apart and found a little growth, ... cleaned it with electrical cleaner. .. Not had a problem since. I wouldn't suggest someone with no electronic knowledge doing it though, unless they are prepared to replace the switch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts