Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 2005 2500 HD CREW WITH 56,000 MILES I HAVE OWNED IT A MONTH, I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER SHIP WHERE I BOUGHT IT, THEY CAN'T TELL ME WHY IT SMELL LIKE SULFER, IT IS A STOCK TRUCK AND NONE OF THE OTHER TRUCKS I HAVE LOOKED AT HAVE THIS SULFER SMELL. I DONT KNOW IF ANW THING IS WRONG WITH IT OR NOT NONE OF THE WARNING LIGHTS ARE ON AND THERE ARE NO CODES:confused:

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
It probably has something to do with the cat. I would run it hard and see if it clears up. I have never heard of a diesel truck's exhaust smelling of sulfur, but if you are getting good mileage and it runs ok, I wouldn't worry about it. BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would check the fuel that you are using. If you are buying fuel at a filling station, the fuel should be ultra-low sulfur ( less than 15 pppm of sulfur). There is no way to get a significant sulfur smell (even without an oxidizing catalyst) when using ULS diesel.
If you are using additives or agricultural fuel (usually died red), then you will get a smell. I'd try a new tank of fuel labeled ULS and see if it goes away. Good luck and post a followup if you think of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sulfer Smell In Exhaust

:confused: I HAVE OWNED THE TRUCK FOR ABOUT A MONTH I BOUGHT IT USED AND HAVE NO INFO THE PREVIOUS OWNER. I HAVE PUT 3500 MILES ON IT AND USED FUEL FROM DIFFERENT STATIONS FROM LAWTON, OK TO SAN ANTONIO, TX IT STILL HAS THE SAME SMELL. :confused:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I used to get a faint sweet smell much like an M1A1 Abrams tank which has a turbine engine but that was when I had a CAT. Now without the cat is smells like a stank ass 6.2 or 6.5 GM dieles found in your run of the mil military HMMWV or hummer for the civilian type. Cant say why you get a sulfer smell but as long as you have no problems and the smell is behind you forget about it at this point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.