Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and have been looking at getting a Duramax for a few months now. I currently have a 04 Cobra that I'm looking to sell. Now the problem is fitting my truck in the garage. A few years back we built a garage for our cars, my brothers and mine. Now, I'm done with the car scene and looking for a diesel. But the only thing is, what ever I buy/build must fit in my garage in the winter, ideally year round.

My max height I can go is 83 to weatherstrip and 83 1/2 to frame.

I'm planing on getting a 07 (new body) or 08. I would like to go with a 6 inch cognito premium lift package, 22 rockstars and 35 toyo MT's. What would you guys figure my over all height to be. This setup would be for summer only though. Due to Michigan winters, I would switch back to stock tires and would even consider a smaller tire for winter only.

Any input is appreciated. I'm serious about buying one, but could not see letting my 40k garage go to waste just to have a diesel.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
You could get away with that if you left it around 4" of lift and did more trimming. Otherwise raise the garage door.

Where in Michigan you from?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
level it the right way or lift it 4" with a cognito kit IMO.

not a big fan of big rims, gonna be hella expensive for tims and tires.

I would get a nice 17" rim and some 33's maybe. Then put the money I saved into performance mods. that way the truck will look good and you won't be able to wipe the shit-eatin' grin off your face. JMO

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Put a smaller lift on it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of running the Cognito 4 inch lift also. But funny, I'm right in Washington Mi too, lol.

But altering the garage is not an option. It was built to match our house and modifying it would cause to much trouble.

I might go 20's instead of 22's but not to sound cocky but money is not an issue at this point, I have the funds to do all the modifications I'm interested in, including a trans. I want the truck to look a certain way and not going to try and save money. But IMO 33's would be to small right.

But what is the height change going from stock tire to say 35's on 22's. It would be cool to park in my garage year round. But I'm mostly want it to be inside in winter with stock tires on.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
all the more power to you then. I'd imagine 22's and 35's on a 4" truck is going to rub like a bitch.

I think you would be more than happy with 20's and 33's. Most people are. See if your tire shop can mount one to see if you like the look. I think you'll probably have to do a good bit of trimming to get 35's to fit on a 4" truck for NO rub.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
due to the new body fender design it is harder to stuff big tires under them stock. there certainly are mods and ways around this. you just need to decide what you are comfortable with. There are zilliions of tire fitment threads on here. Look up norcalnicks small and large fender mod. I believe he has them done for NBS.

Toyo MT's are hella nice. good choice

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's fun planing on buying a truck lol. Its hard to figure out what will work and what wont. Like I said, I don't have the truck yet. I'm stilling playing with some options, but I'm almost 100% on a Duramax. My buddy has a 03 Duramax with a 6" procomp, 35's on hummer rims and fit with a inch or more to spare. But he claimed his shocks are warn and its not truly 6"

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
My brother crammed 35's under his 4" Rancho lift with the help of a cutoff wheel and custom front bumper. Might be worth a try if you don't mind cutting back some metal.

·
Registered
648 Posts
if you go fast enough anything will fit in that garage :gearjamin

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
4" looks better with smaller tires than a 6 will and retains much more functionality of the truck IMO. that's the way to go for me if lifting it.

couple of guys almost make me love the lowered dmax. never thought i'd laud a lowered pickup..

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
i have a OBS and I can fit in the parking garage at 6'10" (82 inches...) but the NBS are a bigger then the OBS. but like earlier, If you drive fast enough you can fit in your garage! haha

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
you can use the old "clear a bridge you barely don't trick..... Air down:rofl
But looks like you'll have a whole extra inch (of clearance :rof)to play with :thumb

·
Registered
4,585 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks alot Duraskank.

I think I have all the info I need. I plan on going with the Cognito 4-6. From what I've read, it is the best lift kit due to CV shaft angle and steering components.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean you can adjust the height to between 4-6 with torsion keys?

Also If I kept a 35's on it, the only thing that would change between 20's or 22's would be the side wall height, the overall height of the tire would remain the same, allowing a clearance of 83"?

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Thanks alot Duraskank.

I think I have all the info I need. I plan on going with the Cognito 4-6. From what I've read, it is the best lift kit due to CV shaft angle and steering components.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean you can adjust the height to between 4-6 with torsion keys?

Also If I kept a 35's on it, the only thing that would change between 20's or 22's would be the side wall height, the overall height of the tire would remain the same, allowing a clearance of 83"?
Yes, a 35" tire is still a 35" tire no matter how big the hole in the middle forthw rim is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I figure correct, I could do the 7" Coginto, but should I just play it safe with the 4-6?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts