Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined and wanted to say hello. Been on DP and a few other sites related to trucks, sled, scuba, etc..... but just found this site. Look forward to checking it out !

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Welcome man! More NY'ers by the day, this is good! Lake George is a good time! Sleddin season was good I did a few good miles up there. Lots of sledders here so ya know. We cang et a meet gonig perhaps one week up in LG perhaps! I love campin up there and goin up for the hot rod week or something good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, car show weekend is getting to be one of the best weekends in the area !! Lots of great cars to see for sure ! Wasn't a good year for the sleds here... trail system only "officially" opened for 1 weekend due to low snow fall. Hopefully better next season......
Know anyone who works for UPS from your area? A good friend grew up there and his brother still lives there/ works for UPS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh.... the pic in my avitar is what I did this winter instead of snowmobile....

that's a approx 6-6.5 foot Caribbean reef shark that was about 7-10 feet away from me at 65 ft under water in Nassau this past Feb. We did a couple dives there in Feb... and were in Australia, Fiji, Vanuatu, and New Calendonia from 12/27 to 1/25. New Year's Eve in Sydney Harbor was an unforgettable experience !!!!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
welcome to the forum! I just graduated from st lawrence university last may so I used to drive through your area ALLL the time on the way to and from school...ive stopped at lake george many many times; its a great place!

I still go up there somewhat often to visit frineds so next time Im driving through ill keep a lookout for your truck.

Ben

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Welcome!! I am taking some diving lessons with the wife here in the next month or so and I guess our final dive/certification will be in lake george:) Do you do alot of diving in the lake? I always see a bunch of divers when we are up in the hague area camping..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've only dove once from the state campsite up in the Ticonderoga area; never from Hague ...yet. Usually Harthstone SP or boat dives in the southern 1/2 of the lake. Planning to dive the Radeau this yr...it's supposedly the oldest preserved historic war ship in the US..... from the French & Indian war, sunk in 103 feet. Because it's a Historic Site, you need permits from NYSDEC, etc to dive it and they only allow diving from the second Saturday of June through Labor Day... and only 2 groups per time slot/ 2 time slots per day ( one morning, one afternoon)....

here's a link if anyone's interested:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7830.html

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Thanks for the link, I will have to check that out once I get my cert.. :drink

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are you in the process of getting certified or in the thought process ? We used Rich Morin's Professional Scuba Center in Glens Falls. They are a PADI 5 star IDC (instructor development center) and a GREAT group of people !!! Do a lot of dive trips, etc thru out the whole yr ! Should look into them......

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Yeah, car show weekend is getting to be one of the best weekends in the area !! Lots of great cars to see for sure ! Wasn't a good year for the sleds here... trail system only "officially" opened for 1 weekend due to low snow fall. Hopefully better next season......
Know anyone who works for UPS from your area? A good friend grew up there and his brother still lives there/ works for UPS.
Not sure of names but I have a buddy who is manager in the one in New Windsor. I know a few people over in Newburgh's. PM me his name let me know man

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
are you in the process of getting certified or in the thought process ? We used Rich Morin's Professional Scuba Center in Glens Falls. They are a PADI 5 star IDC (instructor development center) and a GREAT group of people !!! Do a lot of dive trips, etc thru out the whole yr ! Should look into them......
My wife and myself are signed up at the local school she teaches at. They have a indoor pool and instructers from a dive school on central ave in Albany coming down for the instructions and initial shallow water dives. My wife set it all up, so I am not to sure about the details but I know they said to finalize the certification we had to do a dive in lake george.. Either one of us have dived before but we have looked into it many times on vacation. We have always decided against it due to the fact you have to sacrafice 2-3 days of your vacation to dive to any decent depths. After this course it is my understanding we can dive anywhere inside or outside the country with our certifications??

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
welcome to the df. nice to see another NYer.

·
Registered
987 Posts
welcome im up to LG quite often through the yr im only 30 ins away so its not even that bad of a ride!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My wife and myself are signed up at the local school she teaches at. They have a indoor pool and instructers from a dive school on central ave in Albany coming down for the instructions and initial shallow water dives. My wife set it all up, so I am not to sure about the details but I know they said to finalize the certification we had to do a dive in lake george.. Either one of us have dived before but we have looked into it many times on vacation. We have always decided against it due to the fact you have to sacrafice 2-3 days of your vacation to dive to any decent depths. After this course it is my understanding we can dive anywhere inside or outside the country with our certifications??

I think there are a couple places in Albany that do training. I'll bet you'll be doing your cert dives at Hearthstone State Campsite just north of the village. About 4 companies use that site for cert dives.
A couple in our open water class did the "vacation dive experience" and was surprised by what you are NOT told by the groups "training" at the resorts. They said it was scary what they weren't aware of until our classes.....
Anyway, with your open water certification, you can dive anywhere world-wide. But you will only be certified to 60' unless you take more training. We have our advanced cert which allows for 100' depth, night dives, and a couple other things. Next is some specialty stuff like cave and ice diving...possibly dry suit too. It's an addicting sport (to us at least). We got certified in May last yr and I have logged 70 dives and just over 33 hours under water since then. Can't wait to get this season started...just want to let the lake warm up a bit......

If you have any questions about it all.... feel free to ask.....

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Welcome to the DF

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome to the DF. Love the Lake George area... take the RV up there every year.

·
Registered
343 Posts
hey,welcome. im in ogdensburg, not to far. heard of any pulls down that way?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts