Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am obviously new to this website and would like some help. I have a '02 Duramax/Allison and I am looking to improve my mpg. Right now I am getting 16.5 combined city/highway and 18 straight highway.

I would like to buy a programmer, and I am more concerned with getting better mileage than anything. Is there a programmer that yall would recommend to improve my mpg?

Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Welcome!! You are getting pretty good mileage right now, but the best bang for the buck would be the diablosport predator. Running it on level 2 might get you 1-2 mpg better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. that is good? i always wondered why i didn't get better mileage. dang it!

so, 1-2mpg increase? i will have to check it out.

does anyone else have any first hand knowledge on a good programmer that will increase gas mileage?

thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i just got a predater last week and im getting 2-3 mpg increase with a r:rockin ight foot

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
See what it does after about 10 tanks. You can't go by what you get on the first tank. My truck showed a good jump in fuel economy with the predator, but it only lasted a couple of tanks. Are your numbers for mileage hand calculated or using the DIC? I know my DIC is off by about 5-7 mpg. When I first bought my truck it had the TST on it, I thought I was getting great mileage (DIC was saying about 28), but in reality after I filled up, I was getting more like 18. Lately I have been averaging 14-16 unloaded with short trips and right about 18 on the highway no matter what power setting. I am using both the predator and TST on mine.

Another thing to think about....my truck's speedo was about 2-3 mph fast with stock tires on it (verified with GPS) , which would show that you get better mileage than you really are not to mention shorten your actual warranty time. I have adjusted for bigger tires now and verified that I was almost dead on with the GPS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good information. Thank you very much.

My numbers are hand calculated, and my tires are stock. This would be the first time I did anything to my truck.

What sites do you recommend using for finding good deals on programmers? The best I have found so far is on Lagunaspeed.com

On another note. I went for a ride in a friends stock '07 Duramax yesterday. Wow, that is a fast truck.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i run the ppe programmers and average 2 to 3 mpg gain over stock and if i drive really nice i have gained 5 and 6mpg over stock topping out at 23mpg on a 1ton dually and stock some of the best was 16 to 17 mpg runnin empty on the highway,these #'s are hand calculated over sevaral tanks..you see what all i've done to the poor thing by looking at my sig..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts