Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to this site and was looking for some input from y'all on the duramax. My wife and I are in the market for a new (well used, but new to us) truck. We are looking for a crew cab, short bed, 4x4. She favors a 00-03 ford F-250 power stroke, and I am 50/50 between a ford and a chevy 2500hd dmax. I am pretty familiar with fords and the bugs that are generally associated within the year range. However I am pretty unfamiliar with the chevy's and was hoping you all could give me some insight on the duramax and driveline from 00-03.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
they both have there faults but in the drivetrain area the DTD with the allison tranny does shine a little better the the PSD with the torqueshift tranny...the earlier DTD also known as the LB7 had some injector problems but gm does have a 7yr/200,000ml warranty on the injectors for the 01 and 02 DTD..i have a 05 and 06 DTD and i love both,they haul nice and the ride well it's awesome compared to the ford but for all out work the ford is hard to beat,but the DTD does get better fuel economy then the PSD..in the end buy the truck you want,for me it would be a DTD..hope this helps
ps i would try and stay with the 03 and newer DTD.
DTD=Duramax PSD=Powerstroke

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I was looking at around an 03 DTD, and am a fan of the allison transmission. How much additional power can the stock tranny handle, and what kinda of fuel mileage do most people see?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i wouldn't run more then 60hp to 70hp under load on a stock tranny but when the truck is empty i would run a 90 to 100hp tune as my highest,oh and i would suggest buying boost"n"egt gauges..most guys see an average of 2 to 3mpg gain over stock,it all verys from truck to truck and driver to driver..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts