Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the deal...

I just bought this truck, and believe i have more problems than orginially thought.

Ok so the low collant light comes on, took it to the dealership before i purcahsed the truck, they said needs two thermostats and a fan clutch. No coolant leaks anywhere, so they say.

I purchase the truck, put coolant in the truck, drive it for a week before i take it back to the dealership. The light comes on that day for low coolant.

Took it to another dealership, b/c its closer. They said i have a hose going from the egr to intake that needs to be replaced, thats where the coolant is leaking. They replace and say all is good, no other problems. While driving it home, take a long time to heat up, no heater, and then after about 10 minutes it shoots right up to about 240 degrees then right back down to 180ish. And then the low coolant signal pops up again. Damn, back to square one.

Take it back this morning, now they concour with the other dealership and say both thermostats are bad, so we change them, they test drive and same thing "low coolant". Now they say the coolant resvoiur (sp?) has a bad sensor so we have to change it. They change it and test drive and say everything is perfect now. They did a cylinder leak test, and said has no internal leaks, so head gaskets are fine.

All along im thinking head gaskets, they say nope they are fine.

I leave on the way home, again no temp change, no heater. Man im pissed. drive it for 15 minutes around town, and bam 240 degrees and low coolant light. I get home, i see coolant all over the right wheel fender well. And the resvoiur (sp?) empty. So WTF is up?

Is this a guessing game for stealerships? or what?

What do you guys think? :help:help:help:confused:

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
if coolant is in the fender well hopefully you can pinpoint the location of the leak and go from there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The dealerships nowadays don't diagnose and fix anything, they just replace parts till it seems to run right, or you're out of money! Could be a bad heater core, or heater hose. Good luck!

·
Registered
686 Posts
sounds like to me u have an air pocket in there?

fill it up with water, start it let it run with the cap off, keep filling as needed and burp it out ...turn heater on full blast with it on fresh air same time let it run to it gets to normal temp ,

·
Registered
47 Posts
:drink
sounds like to me u have an air pocket in there?

fill it up with water, start it let it run with the cap off, keep filling as needed and burp it out ...turn heater on full blast with it on fresh air same time let it run to it gets to normal temp ,
that sounds like what my dad would do, he's a pretty damn good diesel mechanic, make sure the cooling system is cycling and then put it under pressure, at least that is what he would do with my 69' camaro? Anyone esle have an idea?

·
Dead beat seller!
1,060 Posts
it sounds like heads even if it passes the pressure test it can still be the heads but before you do anything make sure you have no air in the system

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you think it's trapped air, there is an air bleeder bolt right on the front top of engine, dead center-very front. It works awsome, just undo it till water flows out, you're done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts