Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Somthing is whining under my hood. Sounds gets steadily (not a spooling up and winding down whine) louder with higher RPM. My A/C doesn't make a difference. My guess is my alt, idler, or tensioner bearings. Now would jumpstarting a gas compressor or anything repetedly cause my alternator to act this way. My volt meter starts quite low on initial startup and after about 30 seconds it will rise to normal 14 or so. It rocks back and forth between 12 and 14 volts. You tell me. I ask because of a posting regarding turbo whine. Don't want to get them confused.
2. My oil pressure gauge recently dropped to zero. Truck runs fine, no lack of power, no over heating, no odd (low oil psi) sounds. A buddy works at a shop with one of those computers that tells you EVERYTHING. His computer says voltage to the sending unit is good, but not reading any psi. Local GM diesel mech. agrees that if it were the oil pump, I would definitly know. I also read on this forum somewhere about stepper motors. Now on startup when all gauges jump up and then back down if it were a stepper motor it wouldn't do that or would it? because the oil gauge needle does still do that.
3. My water pump finally took a dump on me. I know I'm looking at spending a pretty penny. But:jack1 $900 & lifetime warranty on the pump itself from the stealership sounds too good to be true.:anyone11 I'm sure one of you hardcore dmax guys could help me out on that on. Diesel shop (not dealer) tells me $1050 1yr/unlimited mileage.
4. My buddies computer also says my #2 & #6 glow plugs have no apm draw. the other 6 show between 14.7a-21a draw. Whatever that means, 2&6 read zero. I'm guessing either circuit connection or dead glow plug.

Just want to make sure I have my head on straight before I go and spend $1500 on my baby and I'm not misinformed.

All your input is greatly appreciated.:help

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How do I delete this post. I'm guessing this doesnt qualify for the 911 forum even though it's not running.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
No need to delete....thread moved. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts