Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I recently bought an lbz that had some wheels on it with an offset. So every time I turned it would rub. So I went to a local tire shop to see if they had any advice on what to do and the gentleman said the only thing to do was lift it. Now I should have read reviews on this place and done a little more research before pulling the trigger on this. But I did it anyway..They put on a rough country 3 inch lift and cranked the keys all the way up. The day I got it back I was driving to pick up a trailer and I heard a pop, long story short the wheel hub locked up and my CV axle got torn to shreds. I guess my question is it recommended to do the zone off-road 3 inch diff drop with the angles that I have now? I’ll add pics, any advice will be greatly appreciated, and that’s for anything in regards to these beautiful trucks. Thanks and god bless

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,334 Posts
That would definitely be the best way of course but those angles dont really look that bad. Worst thing i can see is the aftermarket CV shafts. They will do what you said on angles that are good. I will never put aftermarket CV shafts on.

Reactions: jokenb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would definitely be the best way of course but those angles dont really look that bad. Worst thing i can see is the aftermarket CV shafts. They will do what you said on angles that are good. I will never put aftermarket CV shafts on.
What would you recommend I do about the cv shafts? Only one of them was replaced so idk if the other one is original or not. That is comforting to hear you say that about the angles cause I’ve been stressing about that.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,334 Posts
It looks like the pass side is the one you changed. The driver side has an aftermarket shaft on it too. I use only OEM shafts.

Reactions: jokenb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like the pass side is the one you changed. The driver side has an aftermarket shaft on it too. I use only OEM shafts.
Ok I’ll look into getting those, do you have a specific place you get them from? And thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Any other recommendations you have? I am new to the diesel world and am looking keep this thing running for a long time.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,334 Posts
The genuine GM shafts are pretty expensive so i have been getting nice used ones from a salvage place i frequent but i will not put any aftermarket ones one. So far the only problems I’ve had are boots tearing. As for recommendations change oil religiously including the trans oil. Use only the Racor fuel filters for the factory filter ( dont get the blue ones that GM sells now ) and put a lift pump of some sort on. Lots of articles pertaining to that on here. Run a lubricity additive in every tank of fuel. I like the OptiLube products.

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
How much of a gap do you have between the UCA and the frame stop? You should have 1" minimum between the 2. If not the keys are cranked to much and your downward travel will be limited.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
How much of a gap do you have between the UCA and the frame stop? You should have 1" minimum between the 2. If not the keys are cranked to much and your downward travel will be limited.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The genuine GM shafts are pretty expensive so i have been getting nice used ones from a salvage place i frequent but i will not put any aftermarket ones one. So far the only problems I’ve had are boots tearing. As for recommendations change oil religiously including the trans oil. Use only the Racor fuel filters for the factory filter ( dont get the blue ones that GM sells now ) and put a lift pump of some sort on. Lots of articles pertaining to that on here. Run a lubricity additive in every tank of fuel. I like the OptiLube products.
Well I guess I’ll keep an eye out for the shafts what do you look for when getting the oem to make sure they are still good. I’m looking at an air dog 2 4g at the moment. And I’ll be picking up some optilube today. And one last question for ya maybe you have an idea why I would be having a hard start up? I turn the truck on and let all the chimes turn off before I turn it over and sometimes it just clicks and doesn’t turn over I turn it off and do it again and it’ll click again a few times and then start up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I’m not sure what the frame stop is? 😅 if you could tell me what it looks like I can measure it. When I put the tierods on I drop the keys and it rides pretty good. Before I dropped them the ride was trash, it was very stiff

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,334 Posts
Well I guess I’ll keep an eye out for the shafts what do you look for when getting the oem to make sure they are still good. I’m looking at an air dog 2 4g at the moment. And I’ll be picking up some optilube today. And one last question for ya maybe you have an idea why I would be having a hard start up? I turn the truck on and let all the chimes turn off before I turn it over and sometimes it just clicks and doesn’t turn over I turn it off and do it again and it’ll click again a few times and then start up.
I just make sure they are tight and no torn boots. Sounds like a possible starter issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just make sure they are tight and no torn boots. Sounds like a possible starter issue.
Awesome thanks what I’ll look for. How would I find out for sure if it’s the starter? So I’ll add this as well if I just turn the truck on and turn it over before letting the chimes turn off it starts right up.? Sorry if these are dumb questions, like I said before I’m new to all this so I’m trying to take in as much as I can from people who have been around this stuff.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,334 Posts
Well now that is a little strange. Maybe check the connections at the battery as well as the starter. Check ground connection points.

·
Registered
153 Posts
...I turn the truck on and let all the chimes turn off before I turn it over and sometimes it just clicks and doesn’t turn over I turn it off and do it again and it’ll click again a few times and then start up.
Check to make sure your battery connections are tight first. If they are, then I'd check the starter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok so I recently bought an lbz that had some wheels on it with an offset. So every time I turned it would rub. So I went to a local tire shop to see if they had any advice on what to do and the gentleman said the only thing to do was lift it. Now I should have read reviews on this place and done a little more research before pulling the trigger on this. But I did it anyway..They put on a rough country 3 inch lift and cranked the keys all the way up. The day I got it back I was driving to pick up a trailer and I heard a pop, long story short the wheel hub locked up and my CV axle got torn to shreds. I guess my question is it recommended to do the zone off-road 3 inch diff drop with the angles that I have now? I’ll add pics, any advice will be greatly appreciated, and that’s for anything in regards to these beautiful trucks. Thanks and god bless

1 - 16 of 16 Posts